Sign in to follow this  

Best truck for under $4000?

Well next summer I will be 16 so I will want/need a truck. But I have a limit of $4000 or less. I need a truck that is reliable, gets good MPG, and an overall good truck. I was thinking about a 1996-2000 S-10. But please just help me with what truck I should get. Also if you know any good truck sites that don't rail the crap out of you if you ask a noob question please post them.

well im gonna be 16 on sep 29, so we are in the same situation

im looking at ford rangers 1993-2007

the ultimate setup for me would be:

ranger: 6 cylinder, 4wd, 5 speed manual, under 75,000 miles, under $6000

btw im gonna subscribe to this thread

Mini trucks with V6's dont do that good on gas. Go full size if you can. a 1989-1995 toyota pick up with a 22RE 4 cylinder would be great. Or a 92-96 F150 can get about 16mpg or so.

If you're in SoCal, avoid the 4x4-it'll just get you in trouble and added expenses of maint, mpg, etc just aint worth the flash. Too many people think they NEED a 4x4 when the only time it leaves the pavement is to go down a gravel road. Think about what you intend the majority of use for.

I'd reccommend a 4 cyl XLT Ranger or S10 for your age and use-smaller motor will keep the ins and fuel costs down, and the 6' box will handle 2 bikes with no probs, just add a tailgate extender.

If you're in SoCal, avoid the 4x4-it'll just get you in trouble and added expenses of maint, mpg, etc just aint worth the flash. Too many people think they NEED a 4x4 when the only time it leaves the pavement is to go down a gravel road. Think about what you intend the majority of use for.

I'd reccommend a 4 cyl XLT Ranger or S10 for your age and use-smaller motor will keep the ins and fuel costs down, and the 6' box will handle 2 bikes with no probs, just add a tailgate extender.

I understand what you are saying.

I live in Fountain Valley, next to Huntington Beach, the only reason I wanted 4x4 is because i would like to go to Pismo every now and then, but how would a 4 cylinder, 2wd ranger with lowered tire pressure do in soft sand? my guess is that it would be ok.

4 cylinder ranger Rangers and S10 DONT get any better gas mileage than 6 cylinder F-150s :thumbsup:

why is that?

4 cyl Ranger or S10 in reg cab, 2wd, 5 spd will get high 20's, maybe 30 if driven nicely.

6 cyl full size PU's equipped with highway gears, 5 spd, reg cab, 2wd are just as gutless, and will get roughly low mid 20's.

The fullsize will haul more, but economy decreases.

But-a half ton shortbox 6 cyl 2wd may be a better buy, because the trucks do not hold their value as well, due to limited usage (small box and motor) than comparable mini trucks.

4 cyl Ranger or S10 in reg cab, 2wd, 5 spd will get high 20's, maybe 30 if driven nicely.

6 cyl full size PU's equipped with highway gears, 5 spd, reg cab, 2wd are just as gutless, and will get roughly low mid 20's.

The fullsize will haul more, but economy decreases.

But-a half ton shortbox 6 cyl 2wd may be a better buy, because the trucks do not hold their value as well, due to limited usage (small box and motor) than comparable mini trucks.

Maybe ours had problem, but both of ours 1990 and 1998 parents bought both brand new 5-speed manuals both were lucky to get 20 mpg and my parents drive like 100 year olds, and my neighbors 1995 S10 only got like 18mpg. My F-150 gets about 20mpg. I also find 4 cylinder Rangers and S10s to be under powered IMO

would a 4 cylinder, 2wd ranger with lowered tire pressure do in soft sand? my guess is that it would be ok

If you bring friends to help you get out if you get stuck I wouldn't trust soft sand with that kinda truck.