Sign in to follow this  

'03 WR250F headlight cutting out - ideas?

Hey everyone.

I've had my '03 WR for almost 3 years now and it's always had this annoying cut-out problem with the headlight... I'm hoping someone out there has some ideas.

When running on low beam the headlight works for about the first 3-4 minutes then cuts out. If I keep riding (in the dark!), after about 2 minutes it will come back on and last for another 2 minutes, and so on... on, off, on, off etc. :ride:

The high beam is fine, it only happens on low beam. This would suggest it's not supply-related. I could try changing the globe, but how would the existing globe cause this kind of behavior? Surely a globe is either working or it isn't...if it's getting power it will put out light..?

My only other idea is that this is one of those warning things, like when an indicator globe is gone and the rest of them flash quickly to hopefully alert you to the problem. But in the interests of rider safety there must be a better way than cutting the headlight for two minutes?! :thumbsup:

Any help from those more electrically inclined is appreciated.

Thanks.

I had the same problem on my WR250, it's the bulb (globe),

it didn't look burnt out on inspection but if knocked gently you could see faint glimmer.

Change the bulb. :thumbsup:

Yep, it's the bulb. Just like in a car, one filament is for low beam, the other is for high beam (same with brake lights in a car too) - your low beam filament is broken and is now making contact intermittently.

That was the first thing I thought of, but I thought it was strange behaviour for a bulb...Never would have thought you could get "intermittent" operation out of a filament-type bulb.

Oh well, I'll change it and see how it goes. Thanks guys!

Sometimes with Halogen type bulbs, the filiament will break (cuasing the light to go out) but as the filiament is generally quite strong, it holds it position, unlike a house hold globe where it falls to pieces. Then when you go over a bump the filiament gets to a close enough to arc across the break and that causes it to stick together and start working againg. Not that reliably though.

A good sharp tap can do tha same thing.