Sign in to follow this  

cylinder filled with engine oil???

yz250f ...my son added oil to it because the dip stick showed no oil. he added probably 1 1/2 quarts... then it would not start. next day oil was flowing out the breather tube at the top of the valve cover. he drained the oil and out came 1 1/2 gallons! took the top end off and found the entire cylinder filled with oil. okay...how the hell did the cylinder fill with oil? the head is not cracked, the oil seals on the valves are new. is there a check valve somewhere after the oil feed tube comes out of the frame to the lower end? what keeps the oil from flowing up to and out of the breather tube if the oil level is above the top of the cylinder head? anyone have any ideas?

If you can find a way to put 1.5 gallons of oil in your 250F, you are smarter than I.

How were you able to kick it over with the cylinder and crankcase full of oil??

yz250f ...my son added oil to it because the dip stick showed no oil. he added probably 1 1/2 quarts... then it would not start. next day oil was flowing out the breather tube at the top of the valve cover. he drained the oil and out came 1 1/2 gallons! took the top end off and found the entire cylinder filled with oil. okay...how the hell did the cylinder fill with oil? the head is not cracked, the oil seals on the valves are new. is there a check valve somewhere after the oil feed tube comes out of the frame to the lower end? what keeps the oil from flowing up to and out of the breather tube if the oil level is above the top of the cylinder head? anyone have any ideas?

I don't have an answer to your questions nor do I know how he was able to kick the engine over with so much oil in it yet none of the oil overflowed to the ground, but...

Your son should read the manual more carefully. It is a dry sump design, so if the engine sits for a while the oil in the frame's reservoir will drain into the case - I assume that is how he was able to put so much oil in there, i.e. after the engine drained and cooled off, your son would add MORE oil which eventually will end up in the case again, then he repeats the cycle. He should check the oil dip stick RIGHT after the engine has been running for 5 minutes or so to warm up, then with the engine off, wait a minute or 2, put the dip stick in WITHOUT tightening it down, THEN check the level (read the manual for better details).

It was so full of oil it came up past the rings. Just like if some one over fills their car it will smoke its a$$ off. Oil comes up past the rings and burns.

your son has most likely fild up the oil on the fill up side but he probly put it in until he could see it

tello your son to only put i quat in next time and oh ya READ THE MANUAL

thanks for the advice. that is what i figured also. as for being able to kick it over he could not it went into hydralic lock like it was seized but with oil. well time to clean it out and put it back together. thanks again