Sign in to follow this  

Battery tender question

I have two bikes. I need a battery tender to keep them in good shape. If I buy one tender and switch it from one bike to another say once a week, will that keep both batteries in good shape?

I don't mind buying two battery tenders, but I don't have a lot of outlets in the garage and I don't want to have too many electrical devices plugged in.

PS. Wow, pretty impressive how TT automatically turned the phrase battery tender into a hyperlink to the TT store...

Yes, it will work just fine. If you are going for a weekend ride, just put one on the tender on Thursday and the other on Friday and you will be ready to go.

Flip,

Sounds like you just charge 'em for a day or so before you ride? Seems like that should be good to sustain 'em, rather than running it continually like the manufacturer suggests.

I wonder if there are any electronics experts on here that can tell us how intermittent charging, like a day or so each week, affects a battery.

Also, I have always hated to go off and leave electrical devices like this plugged in. What if I just charge each battery overnight, say two nights a week each?

I have A Battery Tender Plus and I go down every other day and switch from motorcycle to riding mower to boat battery then back around again. I had a battery last almost 5 1/2 years on my Harley, only replaced it because I thought I was pressing my luck and they were on sale. I've had my tender since August 2000 and it still works like new.

I have A Battery Tender Plus and I go down every other day and switch from motorcycle to riding mower to boat battery then back around again. I had a battery last almost 5 1/2 years on my Harley, only replaced it because I thought I was pressing my luck and they were on sale. I've had my tender since August 2000 and it still works like new.

I also run pretty much the same routine. Bring the batteries in for the winter and rotate the tender around. I just replaced the battery in my 00drze model for the first time this spring.

Flip,

Sounds like you just charge 'em for a day or so before you ride? Seems like that should be good to sustain 'em, rather than running it continually like the manufacturer suggests.

I wonder if there are any electronics experts on here that can tell us how intermittent charging, like a day or so each week, affects a battery.

Also, I have always hated to go off and leave electrical devices like this plugged in. What if I just charge each battery overnight, say two nights a week each?

I actually have two tenders. One is a Battery Tender Jr. and one is a black and decker model that I found at Wal-Mart. I have used the Battery Tender Jr. on two bikes and put it on my DRZ for the days I wasn't riding it and then put it on my kawasaki Voyager when I wasn't riding it. They have never had a problem.

Now I have one for each bike, but now I think it was a waste of money, because one would have been plenty, but I thought I might want one if I took one or the other on a long trip and it might need some more charing.

I bought two Battery Tender Jrs., one for my DRZ and one for my street bike. I installed the pigtails on both and it sure makes it easy and convenient to hook up. The devices were cheap (like $29ea.) and now I don't have to remember to switch the charger between bikes. I'm lazy and the small extra cost was worth the convenience!

They really draw very very little current. If having an available outlet is the issue, buy one for each bike (or mower, snowmobile, atv, etc.) and just hook a power strip up to your outlet. I have 6 battery tenders and keep all my toys charging whenever I'm not riding them, even through the middle of the OHio Winter. Everything is always ready to start, 24/7. I know 6 battery tenders is overkill, but I just got really sick of not being able to start something that I wanted to ride, just because the freakin' battery was drained.