Sign in to follow this  

Fire in the Piutes

Last Updated: Saturday, Aug 5 2006 9:34 PM

A grass and brush fire that broke out near Lake Isabella Saturday was no threat to houses and businesses, the U.S. Forest Service said.

Photos: Below

Photo by Casey Christie

A firefighting helicopter made a pass over the Bureau of Land Management fire Saturday afternoon near Kelso Valley Road.

Photo by Casey Christie

Joshua trees are silhouetted along Kelso Valley Road while the sun sets on the fire area.

The fire broke out at about 1:15 p.m. west of Kelso Valley Road and east of Jawbone Canyon Road, service spokeswoman Margie Clack said.

The fire burned in a remote, public land area administered by the Bureau of Land Management, Clack said.

About 200 firefighters from the forest service, Kern County Fire Department and the bureau assisted in the firefighting, bureau spokeswoman Debbie Santiago said.

About 10 percent of the fire was contained at 8:25 p.m. Saturday, Santiago said, and it had burned about 1,600 acres at that time.

Santiago said crews hoped to completely extinguish the fire by Monday night.......................................... fire.jpgfire2.jpg

I could see the fire from my house Saturday night. It looked like a couple hundered acres. I hope McIver's cabin is ok.

This saddens me somewhat. The land that we don't loose because of legislation is somehow burning down. The Piutes are beautiful, even the parts we don't get to ride.

I hope everyone checks their spark arrestors, wrap or cover the exposed part of their headers or do every little thing possible to make sure we don't contribute to this. Its no fun riding if the trees and shrubs are not surrounding us.

Latest in the AV Press is it`s burning towards Sorrel Pk. and might threaten Mace Mdws. It seems to have started where we can`t ride, the west side of Kelso Valley road where it`s dirt.

Just the other day on a ride in LPNF I was talking about the local fires and how we have been lucky that none have been in up in the LPNF recently. Lots of dry brush and trees up there. I have ridden the Piutes and it's beautiful up there. Hate to see it or any riding area burn.

Fires are a natural occurrence in the forest they can be a good thing in the long term but man it sucks to hear about this. I hope this fire was started naturally by a lighting strike and not some idiot.

There have been articles about how the lack of access roads in forest areas due to groups like the Sierra Club helping to shut them down, has led to more uncontrolled forest fires. Because without proper access it's impossible to clear out the dead undergrowth or thin out the forest. It also makes it impossible to get the equipment needed to fight the fires in place. I tend to believe that with more access and maintenance some forest fires may have been easier to control.

Just the other day on a ride in LPNF I was talking about the local fires and how we have been lucky that none have been in up in the LPNF recently. Lots of dry brush and trees up there. I have ridden the Piutes and it's beautiful up there. Hate to see it or any riding area burn.

When Donovan and I were up there a couple weeks ago there was a good sized fire. But it wasnt in the LPNF riding area (I dont think) but we really got smoked out.

Latest in the AV Press is it`s burning towards Sorrel Pk. and might threaten Mace Mdws. It seems to have started where we can`t ride, the west side of Kelso Valley road where it`s dirt.

This is really bad news . Please keep us posted on any developments Jim.

Glenn

Looks like it`s going to be out soon.Their releasing crews. It seems to have started near the ranch building west of the dirt road as your riding Kelso Valley road north and tried to climb the slopes of Sorell Pk. but burnt back on it self.

Thanks guys. Looks like we dodged a bullit on that one. The area is tender box dry. When i was up there camping in the first weekend of June, looked like October, not mid spring. Hope we get more moisture this winter.

Glenn

The Cottonwood Fire is 100% contained. Bureau of Land Management, California Desert District will assume command of the incident on Friday, August 11, 2006 at 0600 hours. Demobilization of firefighting resources will occur today and tomorrow, however, some firefighters will remain assigned throughout the weekend to gain full control.

The Cottonwood Fire is 100% contained. Bureau of Land Management, California Desert District will assume command of the incident on Friday, August 11, 2006 at 0600 hours. Demobilization of firefighting resources will occur today and tomorrow, however, some firefighters will remain assigned throughout the weekend to gain full control.

Awesome!!

Final word.

Cottonwood Fire Contained!

The Cottonwood wildland fire, burning west of Kelso Valley Road and east of Jawbone Canyon Road, did not have a chance as engines, crews, helicopters and air tankers worked hard this week to reach 100% containment last night at 6 p.m. On the first day, the fire reared its head showing extreme fire behavior and burned furiously through the dry grass and up the steep, rocky terrain of Sorrell Peak in the Piute Mountains. Final acreage burned is at 2,346 acres. A total of 601 personnel remain on scene, but crews are being demobilization beginning today. No night shift is expected tonight. Some smoke can still be seen inside the deep perimeter of the fire.