kdx220 or crf230

which bike would be best for tight trails, wide open plains, and the ocasional motocross track?im 14y/o 5'6 120 pounds with 3 months experience on ttr125 (very bored of power) the used motorcycle dealer near me has a 2001 kdx220 and a 2004 crf230 both for 2,000.its a matter of picking which one.i'm aware these bikes have totally diferent power, but i want a balance between confidence building and long lasting entertainment by the power.

thanks

i had the same exact dilema i came off a drz 125 and was gonna get a 230 or an 01 220 one difference tho im six foot tall and ur five foot six i bought the kdx and it is much faster and even lighter than the 230 so i u can handle the height go kdx all the way

get the kdx220. The one problem you will have is your height. I am 5'10'' and i dont fit very well on the bike, it is too tall for me. You are 4 inches shorter so it may be a problem even with lowering links.

How is your bike too tall? Just curious. I've never been flat footed on my KDX (5' 10") here too, but it's only a problem if I get hung up on a rock, stall, and can't get my foot back to the ground to get it started again.

Newrider, at 5' 6" the height could be a problem even though there are guys your size racing full size bikes balls out, but those guys have a lot of time on those bikes. It's not imposssible, and at 120lb the KDX will definitely be more than enough power to throw you around, bone stock even.

There's plenty of mods for both bikes, I think I would go with the KDX even though I'm a bit biased. My wife rides an 06 CRF150 and that is a perfect bike for her, she's your size and the 230 was way to big for her, but she can't ride my KDX anywhere other than a straight line. I'm thinkin you could though if your like any other normal 14 yr old ready to move up.

another vote for the kdx. My boy is 13 and just about your size. He can ride around on my KDX. Granted ,probably couldn't handle the bike on any other thing than even ground at this point. By next year he will easily be able to ride it. Dont get the CRF, the power to weight on these two is incredibly different.

How is your bike too tall? Just curious. I've never been flat footed on my KDX (5' 10") here too, but it's only a problem if I get hung up on a rock, stall, and can't get my foot back to the ground to get it started again.

Newrider, at 5' 6" the height could be a problem even though there are guys your size racing full size bikes balls out, but those guys have a lot of time on those bikes. It's not imposssible, and at 120lb the KDX will definitely be more than enough power to throw you around, bone stock even.

There's plenty of mods for both bikes, I think I would go with the KDX even though I'm a bit biased. My wife rides an 06 CRF150 and that is a perfect bike for her, she's your size and the 230 was way to big for her, but she can't ride my KDX anywhere other than a straight line. I'm thinkin you could though if your like any other normal 14 yr old ready to move up.

you should be able to do everything you need to on your bike. I have a problem kickstarting it on hills and backing the bike up while i am sitting on the bike these are some of the reasons it is too tall for me. A bike is just right if you can do everything flat footed. Are most people the right height for their bike? I doubt it. Im just saying at 5'10 i have a tough time doing that stuff and at 5'6'' it is going to be much tougher. My cousin at 6'2 is a great height for the bike and has no problems at all but he is 6'2.

you should be able to do everything you need to on your bike. I have a problem kickstarting it on hills and backing the bike up while i am sitting on the bike these are some of the reasons it is too tall for me. A bike is just right if you can do everything flat footed. Are most people the right height for their bike? I doubt it. Im just saying at 5'10 i have a tough time doing that stuff and at 5'6'' it is going to be much tougher. My cousin at 6'2 is a great height for the bike and has no problems at all but he is 6'2.

I agree totally. I wasn't sure if you were stating that the bike was too tall for you overall, Truth is, we are the ideal height for that bike, I'm 158lbs (with full gear) Our center of balance is perfect on most bikes compared to riders who are very tall (6' 2" and over) the advantages of being taller are obvious though, especially as you mentioned with stopping on hills or trying to paddle out of a rough section once you lose momentum.

I became so frustrated with it, it actually forced me do the neccessary mods/adjustments to the bike so that I could ride better and more efficiently and not just for the bling factor. Stalling in uphill rock sections kicked my ass on more than one occasion, some gearing changes and improvements to throttle response ie: v-force/pipe, even something as simple as the position of my levers helped immensely.

yeah, I have the kdx200, have had it for about a half a year, and have had NO problems what so ever...it is exceptionally powerful and has some good technology, such as the KIPS valve and the liquid cooling...The crf has neither, and is WAY underpowered compared to the KDX. I am 15 and 5'10-11" and 200 lbs. and it's about right for me, so it might be a little high on you, but you will get used to it like anything...

I agree totally. I wasn't sure if you were stating that the bike was too tall for you overall, Truth is, we are the ideal height for that bike, I'm 158lbs (with full gear) Our center of balance is perfect on most bikes compared to riders who are very tall (6' 2" and over) the advantages of being taller are obvious though, especially as you mentioned with stopping on hills or trying to paddle out of a rough section once you lose momentum.

I became so frustrated with it, it actually forced me do the neccessary mods/adjustments to the bike so that I could ride better and more efficiently and not just for the bling factor. Stalling in uphill rock sections kicked my ass on more than one occasion, some gearing changes and improvements to throttle response ie: v-force/pipe, even something as simple as the position of my levers helped immensely.

yup i have thos mods that you mentioned.... a v-force and a pipe and i do find they help. All the little things also like lever positioning does help a bunch with the level of comfort i ride at.

The KDX only has a seat hieght of 34.6 inches and the TTR is 31.5. I don't see how only 3 inches will make too much difference. I'm doing the exact same move as he, only I'm 15 y/o. I'm the same dimensions and I was thinking I can at least tip toe on the KDX right? Whoever recomened a 125 2 smoke is crazy because it's taller than a KDX. ?

The KDX only has a seat hieght of 34.6 inches and the TTR is 31.5. I don't see how only 3 inches will make too much difference. I'm doing the exact same move as he, only I'm 15 y/o. I'm the same dimensions and I was thinking I can at least tip toe on the KDX right? Whoever recomened a 125 2 smoke is crazy because it's taller than a KDX. ?

Im 5' 5". And ride a CR250. Like i say, "Bikes DO lean over"

36.2 seat height on the KDX from factory.

http://www.powersportsnetwork.com/enthusiasts/new_vehicle_detail.asp?VehicleCode=13197&st=NJ&submit=Go

get the kdx220. The one problem you will have is your height. I am 5'10'' and i dont fit very well on the bike, it is too tall for me. You are 4 inches shorter so it may be a problem even with lowering links.

(A bike is just right if you can do everything flat footed.)???

WHAT?

some one spends to much time on there street bike or on the street with there bike.

I am 5'5.5" and the bike fits perfect no lowering links. most forget to set there race sag. so the bike feels two high set your race sag at 4inches and it will be fine. you only need one foot on the ground at a time, if you cant do that then you need to be on trainers. Back to the original Question CRF or KDX ? its a no brainer KDX will be the best bike two grow with there is a lot of information and things to do that will make it run and handle like a 6 grand mx bike. I have no problems from mine on the trails or track. The CRF is just not enough bike to need to change from a TTR.

125 2 smoke is crazy because it's taller than a KDX. ?

Ummmmm No

My KDX is much bigger taller and wider than all the kids with 125's that I know they all sit on my bike and say how big it is. (that sounds really weird) Also my bike is bigger than my brother's KTM200 a KDX is a pretty big bike