Sign in to follow this  

I lost "plug" and now spitting oil?

Help me out guys, I only know the basics. Today I started my bike and it started smoking around the header area. At first it looked like it was leaking small amounts of coolant around a hose clamp (the small, center section that connects the two radiators together). I replaced the hose and the clamp, started it up and it looked like the leak was still there, in the same spot. Turns out that it spitting small amount of oil from the cylinder head. Tried to find the part on the microfiche and all I could find was the description of "plug" which I seem to be missing, part #90338-18064-00 (labeled #13 on the microfiche) at this link http://216.37.204.202/Yamaha_OEM/YamahaDB.asp?Type=13&A=253&B=5

So I'll order the part from a dealer BUT my question is this. Is it possible to simply lose this plug during the course of riding or is it a sign of something more serious in the cylinder? Thank for your replies, sorry about the long rant.

Don't buy OEM. It is a plastic plug and you will only be setting yourself up for a repeat situation. Check out the decomp plugs here on TT, they are aluminum and won't blow out. I will post a link at the end of the message. As for the reason yours blew out, check the vent tube that comes from the valve cover, it is black and runs down the front left of the bike. It may be clogged up allowing the crank case pressure to build up and blow the plug out. Hope this helps, no damage done I am sure.

Josh

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/Decompression_Plug_p/qmr-03dpb.htm

Much better quality!!

It's your decomp plug(do a search you'll find heaps of stuff), yes it can come out during a ride. Don't put another Yamaha plug back in, get one from the thumpertalk store, it will stay in there.

Or you can go down to your local auto parts store and pick up a 18mm freeze plug for around a buck.

Steve