Sign in to follow this  

Grey transmission oil

Hello, this is my second CRF 450 2006 and I keep getting my used transmission oil in dark grey, my mechanic says it is not notmal, but has always happened to me..... The transmission and engine oil I use is ELF 10W 50 (ELF MOTO 4 XT TECH) 100% Synthethic. The manual says it has to be 10 W40 in both, so this is better ???????

What do you think??? Is this normal?

Thanks very much for your help

gray oil in the tranny usually means a coolant leak. The seals on the impeller shaft are not sealing anymore.

i'm not positive on this but if the cfr uses aluminum plate between the friction plates in the basket i would think like the other fellow responded in that it would be normal. i change mine every 2 rides or 2hrs whichever comes first. and i'm useing the honda red bottle 80-85 in the tranny side it's a little discolored but not extreme. in my 03 crf 450 i would be alot greyer.

It's totally normal. If it's milky looking, then water is getting in there, but if it's just gray, it's the clutch plates and is totally normal. You should be changing oil every other ride at the very least with a filter every other oil change.

I ussually change my engine side oil every 2 rides and my tranny side every 4 rides. Would you guys suggest changing the tranny side every 2 rides as well?

thanks for your help, I change both every eight / nine hours.... the manual says every 15, Now that I heare you I will change it more oftenly

Change mine every 2-3 rides @ 100 miles. I use Honda red trans oil, & HP4 on motor side. I like my oil to drain out the same color when it went in. You know the old saying, you can pay me a little now, or a LOT later :thumbsup:

Mine has always gone grey too in tranny. I change engine oil and tranny oil every second ride religously. I have a freind that races and he changes every ride. He buys cheap oil in 20 Litre containers and says "I change it every ride 4-5 hours, so its not in there long enough to break down". I think it might be sucking up water somewhere though, I have heard to re route the breather pipes into the air box as they suck in water when the gearbox gets hot???? Not sure if this is true, I will try it and let you know. I will also pull out the water pump shaft and sealand check it out this week. I will also check out my bro's 07 crf 450 and see if his oil goes grey. I know he doesn't change it that regularly, however he pits around pretty slowly.

I just drained my engine and tranny oil from a ride yesterday. Engine oil was normal but the tranny oil came out a little redish and foamy. I did go for a swin with bike on creek crossing but we were fairly certian it didn't suck any water.

Water must have entered from somewhere?