Sign in to follow this  

What's in the OEM DR650 tool kit?

Since my 2001 DR650 didn't come with a tool kit, I'm curious as to what I'm missing out on. Could someone with the OEM kit give me an inventory of it please? I realize some of the tools should and will be replaced with something better, but I think the kit is a good place to start. And did it come with a spanner for the shock?

Nothing in there but usless junk. With exception of a plug wrench. The wrenches are really bad. Replaced with craftsman wrenches. And no spanner.

Nothing in there but usless junk. With exception of a plug wrench. The wrenches are really bad. Replaced with craftsman wrenches. And no spanner.

Here's a little less stupid answer

http://wibby.smugmug.com/photos/86563818-L.jpg

Seems like usefull junk to me :thumbsup:

I've used them out on the trail to fix my bike and a couple of other's bikes

They are not all chrome and shiney but they work fine

I tried to use both the 10mm and 12mm wrenches and ended up striping the bolt heads both times.

Put shorty craftsman's in there with boxed and open ends. Would recommend everyone do the same.

The rest of the kit is OK.

The wrenches are real soft and flex between the jaws. Still better than nothing though.

I agree except with the usefullness of the plug wrench. It is so tall that you have to remove the tank to remove a plug. I picket up a Craftsman deep socket for the plug too. Works fine with the tank in place.

Troutte

I agree except with the usefullness of the plug wrench. It is so tall that you have to remove the tank to remove a plug. I picket up a Craftsman deep socket for the plug too. Works fine with the tank in place.

Troutte

:thumbsup:

Plug wrench works fine here, I just changed both plugs

http://wibby.smugmug.com/photos/86645372-L.jpg

http://wibby.smugmug.com/photos/86645428-L.jpg

Thanks!

I'm going to guess at the sizes of the wrenches in Wibby's pic...

10mm deep socket

12mm deep socket (what's the groove for?)

16mm plug socket

10/12mm open end wrench

14/17mm open end wrench

19mm front axle wrench

24mm rear axle wrench

Should you also include a 22mm wrench for the rear axle, or will it come off using only one wrench?

Mini vice-grips look like a better choice than the pot metal pliers, too.

I know it sounds a bit medieval but does anyone have a source for a small hammer that you can unscrew the head from the handle? Something around 8-12oz is pretty handy at times.

Thanks again for the pics, now I know where to start.

If you keep a dealer from working on your bike you may never need the tool kit.

Yup, I know exactly what you mean!!! Keep 'em away!

The only stock tools I use are the 14/17 open end wrench and a plug wrench.

I replaced the 10mm with a "real" combination wrench and carry a 6 in 1 screwdriver, a small vice grip, some quick steel and some cable ties.

For the wheels I bought some motionpro T-6 aluminum Tire irons that double as a 24mm and 12/13 mm wrenches. the tire irons come with a 3/8 drive insert that drives a 19mm socket for the front wheel. I strap a spare tube to the front fender and carry a 21" tube and some CO2 inflators for flats in it.

I carry it in a fanny pack and ditched the stock tool carrier.

This setup has worked well for 10+ years of tough D/S riding.

It's made up of cheap tools. I'm replacing mine with better tools as I go. If you don't have one, I would just start your own tool set from higher quality tools. So far I have some nice MotionPro and they are good and light. Take your bike to a shop with a good selection of tools and have a tech set you up.

Yes the OEM works, but I would not count on them to be there when you need them. They can't handle tourque like a quality tool, don't fit quite right, and generally are exactly what you pay for.

First post on TT, weeeeee

I thought of replacing the tools but shit happens

You could forget to close up the box everthing falls out and you're gonna be out some serious coin

The stock tools work fine for me, I try to use them everytime I work on the bike

That way if I found something else I needed I could ad to the kit for on-the-road repairs. So far they've handled all the torgue I can throw at 'em

I have ridden for miles with my tool carrier open and nothing came out.It is packed pretty good.

An awesome light weight tool I also carry among others mentioned is a high quality mountain bike multi tool.It is super light and has thirty different items.If only the chain tool on it was a little larger.

Plug wrench works fine here, I just changed both plugs

Interesting!

I seem to have a different variation on the plug wrench, it is too long and it does require the tank to be removed/lifted to get it on the plug.

Wibby's plug wrench vs. my plugwrench

WTF2.jpg

My plug wrench on my bike

TooTall2.jpg

My stock tool kit (unused)

ToolKit2.jpg

Oh,well. Craftsman deep socket works fine.

Semper Fi

Troutte aka Michael

I wonder why my kit has two sizes, I'd never see any use for the larger one