Sign in to follow this  

Considering 400SM

Hey everyone, this is my first post here. I'm contemplating getting a SM soon, I just have one question. For the times I want to take a passenger, is it pretty cramped with 2 on? My wife is about 5'3 and 105 lbs so she's not too big. I'm about 5"10 and 175. I'm not talking about going long distances, but I'd like the option to go for a couple hours if I had to. Is it possible?

I take my girlfriend to work and pick her up a few times a week. Its really not cramped at all...not anymore than any sportbike I've owned. It's comfortable over short distances under an hour or so but anything over that would be pushing it. Remember also that the tank is in the wrong position for the passenger to support themselves with under braking so you have to be prepared for her to be putting her weight on you everytime you brake...she's light though so it shouldn't be a problem.

btw, I'm 5'8", 150lbs and my girl is the same as your wife.

My daughters have each done a couple hours at a time. I usually give them a break abou then. The break is as much for me as it is for them as I find I have to ride way up front to make it comfortable for them.

I'm 5'11", 205. With my oldest daughter on back (wife hasn't gone yet) I found it to be a little cramped but tolerable for a short ride. She's about 5'2", 95lbs. And I definitely agree with the above observation about braking. Your chest and tris will get a workout if you have to stop quick! It's not the best bike for 2-up, but like you I only have a passenger a few times a year, so I'm not concerned.

I ride quite a bit with my wife and it isn't bad. She complains after a while that she feels like she is riding a 2x6 but her butt just isn't used to it. The DRZ does just fine with two. I ride my best friends girl too sometimes because he has no rear pegs on his 450x and she is smaller than my wife and she likes to do nose wheelies regular wheelies and the DRZ does great. :thumbsup:

I ride my best friends girl too sometimes :thumbsup:

Uhhh, I hope you meant you ride with her on the back. :ride: Anyways, thanks for the replies everyone.