Sign in to follow this  

4 Stroke to 2 stroke a good idea???

I'm currently the proud owner of a 2004 yz250f but I'm not done paying it off, and now i'm looking to get a car pretty soon. I have around $400 to pay off still but and i'm thinking about selling it. I figure that I can sell this bike for around $3800 (or is that too much???) and then buy a nice 250 2 smoker for around $2500. I know I like the 4 stroke better, but this will give me around a grand more to start saving up for a car, and the two strokes are cheaper to maintain, right? My only worry is that the price will drop even more on the two strokes. I know they're slowly becoming less and less, but how much will this affect the price? If i buy one for $2500 will it be down to a grand in a few years? And also, what is the most reliable 250 smoker out there? Sorry about all the questions guys, I just haven't really come to a decision yet...

Thanks in advance

smokers over the next few years will keep depreciating faster than anything else. The 125s more so. If you are gonna sell the thumper for a smoker be prepared to keep the smoker forever unless you want to sell it for peanuts.

I traded in my 05 crf250r for a smoker because it was gonna be cheaper to get a new smoker than fix the motor on the thumper. But i am prepared to keep this smoker for ever. Once it is paid off i am getting a 450 thumper just cause they last longer than 250r class.

Also the cheap maintenance on the smoker is welcomed.

In the end you will still have a very capable race bike (250 Smoker) and be able to ride, from your post i am assuming it will be paid off already? So you will have a bike to ride and be able to save for a car which in the end is more important than the bike and when you can afford a new bike again just keep the smoker and get a new thumper and keep the smoker as a back up.

itch, How much more do you think they will go down? Because I'm not sure I want to keep it forever...I'm willing to have it for like 2 or 3 years and lose 500 bucks, but do you think it would go down even more than that in 2 or 3 years?

Yea, but the 4-stroke costs 3 times more to maintain so the costs will offset each other. The 2-stroke is more fun to ride, so I'd ride one while you can. 4-strokes will be around forever cause the bike companies make more $$$ on them. They are harder to work on so more people take them to the shop, and they need more parts so even the guys who don't take bikes to the shop end up buying more parts.

For me, I'll always have one 2-stroke, and maybe 2 til they rip them for my hands. The 4-strokes make you lazy when riding them, but can be a pain to start at time. The 2-storkes always start easy, force you to learn to ride (ie, use the clutch more), but require mixing gas and oil, which is a slight pain, but not that bad.

Cheers,

Ok. So this isn't a stupid idea to switch to a two stroke then? What model should I be looking at? I'm thinking about a cr250 (anything newer than the year 2000) because they have the alluminum frame. Are those nice reliable bikes?

Thanks

I love my '99 KX, it fvcking rips, but it isn't running right now. YZ's last forever as well.

If you buy used depreciation should not be an issue. The bulk of the depreciation falls off at the door. After that the price is dictated mostly by the condition of the bike. I am not convinced two strokes depreciate faster than fours anyway. I would like to see some documentation on that statement.

Maybe a used KTM 250 should be considered. I love my KTM 300 2 stroke.

If you look around, you can get a very nice '03ish 250cc smoker of any brand between $2000 and $2500. That is cheap for a high performance bike that is cheap to maintain. And I'm sure in a few years you could sell it for a few hundred less than you paid. If I was tight on money I would only have a 2-stroke MX bike.

And in a few years I think the older 4-strokes are going to be very hard to get rid of. Who wants to buy a MX thumper with a lot of hard hours on it? It would probably cost you as much as the bike to fully rebuild the engine. A used smoker is much cheaper and easier to fix.

I would agree w/ Motox. The older the thumpers get, the harder they are to get rid of. The older thumpers feel like tanks when you ride them, opposed to the older 2 strokes that feel light. I have the 03 KX250 and it f'n rips! It's so much fun to ride on the track. Nothing sounds or smells better than a perfectly tuned 2 stroke! :thumbsup:

If you're used to a YZ250F, why not find a deal on a used YZ125 or CR125? I bought a 2000 YZ125 with a fresh top end and overall good shape for $1700. I also have a 2006 Honda CRF250X with various mods to R-specs. They're both great bikes, but the YZ - especially for the money - is a bargain and is a blast to ride.

I mention the 125 2-stroke comparison because a 250 2-stroke has a TREMENDOUS amount of often difficult-to-control power. The power band on a 2-stroke is instant on/off as you may know, but you get a 250 2-stroke and it can feel like it's ripping your arms off. Maybe that's good for you, but too much for me - especially if it was my only bike. I had an '03 CR250 reworked a little bit with a pipe, etc. and it was just WAY too much. I've ridden 450 4-strokes and they've got all the power, but it is a controllable, smoother, curve.

To me the 125 2-stroke is a perfect mix - it's got plenty of blasting power, but it's controllable still plus it feels nice and light. And right now, as mentioned, 125's can be had for a bargain. The YZ really is the better 125 by far over the Honda, but I understand the allure for the aluminum frame I suppose. I was open to either, but found the better deal on the Yamaha so I went with that.

And right now, as mentioned, 125's can be had for a bargain. The YZ really is the better 125 by far over the Honda, but I understand the allure for the aluminum frame I suppose. I was open to either, but found the better deal on the Yamaha so I went with that.
I'd agree that the newer YZ125's have a better power distribution than new CR125's, but it's not a "night and day" difference. CR125's can usually be had for less $$ (around here, anyway), handle like a dream and are as reliable as an anvil. Plus, IMHO, they just plain look nicer :thumbsup: . If you go with the 125, at least consider a clean, used '05 CR125 in addition to the YZ; they're both fantastic used bikes for the price.

BTW, you're probably going to lose more than $500 depreciation over 2-3 years on almost any reasonable used bike. Consider it an expense, not an investment :ride: .

You might also want to consider the KTMs, I got a KTM 125sx that i absolutly love, lots of power and the suspension is not as bad as everyone says it is. You just got to get used to it and learn how to set it up.

I also love my 250sx, best thing i did was trade in the crf for the 250sx.

If you're used to a YZ250F, why not find a deal on a used YZ125 or CR125? I bought a 2000 YZ125 with a fresh top end and overall good shape for $1700. I also have a 2006 Honda CRF250X with various mods to R-specs. They're both great bikes, but the YZ - especially for the money - is a bargain and is a blast to ride.

I mention the 125 2-stroke comparison because a 250 2-stroke has a TREMENDOUS amount of often difficult-to-control power. The power band on a 2-stroke is instant on/off as you may know, but you get a 250 2-stroke and it can feel like it's ripping your arms off. Maybe that's good for you, but too much for me - especially if it was my only bike. I had an '03 CR250 reworked a little bit with a pipe, etc. and it was just WAY too much. I've ridden 450 4-strokes and they've got all the power, but it is a controllable, smoother, curve.

To me the 125 2-stroke is a perfect mix - it's got plenty of blasting power, but it's controllable still plus it feels nice and light. And right now, as mentioned, 125's can be had for a bargain. The YZ really is the better 125 by far over the Honda, but I understand the allure for the aluminum frame I suppose. I was open to either, but found the better deal on the Yamaha so I went with that.

I was thinking about a 125 as well, but I think it would be taking a step back for me. :thumbsup: I'm 5" 10' and weigh 150lbs and still growing, and the 125's aren't as powerful as the 250 thumpers from what I understand. I think that I would get bored with a 125's power after awhile. If it's not that much more spendy to get a 250, then I think that's what I'll go with.

I was thinking about a 125 as well, but I think it would be taking a step back for me. :thumbsup: I'm 5" 10' and weigh 150lbs and still growing, and the 125's aren't as powerful as the 250 thumpers from what I understand. I think that I would get bored with a 125's power after awhile. If it's not that much more spendy to get a 250, then I think that's what I'll go with.

Distribution of power on a 250f and 125 2-stroke will be different and the torque is different - they're completely different bikes, but they do compete in the same classes (I understand people aren't using them much though). I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that it's just plain EASIER riding a 4-stroke and getting the traction to the ground. A 2-stroke's power delivery can make the bike feel a lot more slippery, among other things.

It's too bad you don't have any around that you could check out, but even that would only go so far. I started on a trail-class 4 strokes (XR 100, 230F) before going into 2 stroke MX bikes (CR250R) and then 4 stroke MX bikes ('02 CRF 450R). I'm 5 10" as well, but 175 lbs and also 34 years old so I'm not trying to race, but I do enjoy hitting jumps and aggressively trail riding.

It would be good for you to get on ANY 2 stroke because overall you do have to ride them differently too. I enjoy the 2 strokes, but after riding my CRF250X for too long, it gets hard to switch back sometimes because it's so easy to ride it and ride it well. There's no engine braking on a 2-stroke which takes some getting used to and then you're feathering and playing with the clutch a bit getting into the power zone. My YZ is very much a "slip and slide" kind of feel but that's probably because of my riding skill/or lack thereof.

So in that respect ANY 2-stroke is going to be more work to ride so it may feel a bit backwards in that respect. You may enjoy the challenge though so it's all personal preference. Good luck in whatever you decide.

I don't think you'd be let down by the snap and full-on acceleration of the 125 2-stroke versus the 250f personally unless you're super aggressive on flat out for high-end speed (I think the F would take it there, whereas the 125 would be more peppy off the line). I like to be able to use 3rd gear and more on the 125. On my CR250, I was terrified going past 2nd gear - but maybe I'm just a wimp :ride: