Another wr250 exhaust Q

Hey all, I am now the proud owner of a brand new 06 wr250f, Ive ridden it 3 times in the week Ive had it and absoultly loved it! One question, and yes Ive searched till my head spun, finding heaps of great info but not exactly what I want to know as most info was for the YZ's. Ive done all the free mods, well thottle stop, airbox, grey wire, restricters and I want to get a new exhaust, I want one that performs really well but also looks and sounds good, my question is would a white brothers E2 suit the wr in power gains and jetting terms, or if I went a big gun which one would be recomended for the wr? Or am I on the wrong track all together as I only trail ride and maby a yz exhaust would be enough, any info relating to the question would be greatly apreciated, cheers

-Rod

Here is a couple of post I put up earlier I just modified the stock pipe. I pulled the internal section closest to the pipe intering the exhaust and I also drilled big holes in the baffle closest to the exhaust. Yo might be able to drill both baffles with a long bit this would make the job much easier.

You have to remove all of the rivets that hold the aluminum casing that surrounds the whole exhaust then this will expose the internals of the exhaust and you will see the two baffle sections, I removed the section closest to the pipe interring the exhaust. The internal baffle is spot welded in I cut the welds out with a torch but if i were to do it again I would drill them out it will leave you with a cleaner job. When I got the the baffle out I wrapped the section that I cut out [the holes] with a band of thin sheet metal and screwed it to the cage. This is a time consuming process but it is well worth it the bike will breath and perform much better and sill be Quite. I also made the pipe coming out of the exhaust [end of the exhaust] bigger. It is all free and it works great. If you have anymore questions let me know.

Thats correct, then you will be able to slide the canister[aluminum outer shell] off. Mine was hard to get off the first time. The canister is molded to the exhaust mount that bolts to your rear sub frame I used that mount and slamed it verticlely down on the edge of my bench this released the canister from the insides.

Tom

If you have the money I would look into an E2 or and FMFQ. The best power while making the least amount of noise.

Actually, the stocker is best at that. Both of these pipes are quite useless as far as power gains are concerned.

After doing the easy mods in the GTYR kit ($40 at Yamaha) "air box, throtle stop, leak jet, exhaust, and new needle" should I need any more jets. The Yamaha guy said I should be ok. It really looks like a pain to take the spark plug out, should I just do it?

06WR 250

Actually, the stocker is best at that. Both of these pipes are quite useless as far as power gains are concerned.

From the title of this thread I was assuming that he is using a WR exhaust, in which case an E2 or Q pipe would help with the power and still keep the noise levels down.

After doing the easy mods in the GTYR kit ($40 at Yamaha) "air box, throtle stop, leak jet, exhaust, and new needle" should I need any more jets. The Yamaha guy said I should be ok. It really looks like a pain to take the spark plug out, should I just do it?

06WR 250

You will have to ride the bike and tell us what problems are before we can help. Yes you will need to look at the plug.

You will also need to start your own thread ?

Sorryfor piggy backin the thred, new to this stuff. new to the dirt bike stuff also. I use to ride street, but almost getting hit by cars and trucks gets old. I was in a hair pin corner (in my lane) staring at the cadilac escalde emblem. So I traded for an 06 wr 250, more fun then I ever had on the street. But completly difffernt ridding styles. I am also thinking about dropping a tooth up frount, is this recomemded or should these mods give me some more bottom end also. I am going to ride it tomorrow and pull the plug to see whats up. So I guess I will find out about the power then.

From the title of this thread I was assuming that he is using a WR exhaust, in which case an E2 or Q pipe would help with the power and still keep the noise levels down.

They don't make much more power at all, whilst at the same time being 3 times as loud. Value for money? ?

Sorryfor piggy backin the thred, new to this stuff. new to the dirt bike stuff also. I use to ride street, but almost getting hit by cars and trucks gets old. I was in a hair pin corner (in my lane) staring at the cadilac escalde emblem. So I traded for an 06 wr 250, more fun then I ever had on the street. But completly difffernt ridding styles. I am also thinking about dropping a tooth up frount, is this recomemded or should these mods give me some more bottom end also. I am going to ride it tomorrow and pull the plug to see whats up. So I guess I will find out about the power then.

A good race exhaust system will give you a lot more bottom end back, as well as mid and top. The draw back is noise. How loud can you handle it?

With the new exhaust, you can go to gearing such as 13/48 quite easily instead of 13/52. If you got the 14 front sprocket on, then yes, try the 13.

I just remembered Dirtbike's E-start 450 shootout a few months back. The WR 450f made 46.7 hp with the stock exhaust, 48.8 with the FMF Q2, and 49.4 with the PC type 496. The peak #s don't tell the whole story, the bike gained a significant amount of grunt on the bottom end. I'm sure the results would hold true for the 250 as well.

I just remembered Dirtbike's E-start 450 shootout a few months back. The WR 450f made 46.7 hp with the stock exhaust, 48.8 with the FMF Q2, and 49.4 with the PC type 496. The peak #s don't tell the whole story, the bike gained a significant amount of grunt on the bottom end. I'm sure the results would hold true for the 250 as well.

2hp gain on a 450...... Not worth it isn't it?

A YZ muffler is WAY cheaper and adds WAY more power...... but then there is noise. Some people don't like noise.

• 4 weeks later...

So what year yz250f pipes fit a 06 wr250f, does anyone know exactly, not quessing? and what years did the yz pipe come with a endcap already? does anyone have a yz pipe for sale that would fit my wr that hasent been sold already? and one last question would the yz exhaust slip straight onto the wr header? thanks in advance.

Rod

So what year yz250f pipes fit a 06 wr250f, does anyone know exactly, not quessing? and what years did the yz pipe come with a endcap already? does anyone have a yz pipe for sale that would fit my wr that hasent been sold already? and one last question would the yz exhaust slip straight onto the wr header? thanks in advance.

Rod

Rod, you would be after a 2005 YZ250F muffler. The '03 - '05 YZ250F mufflers will fit, directly to the WR header.

2hp gain on a 450...... Not worth it isn't it?

A YZ muffler is WAY cheaper and adds WAY more power...... but then there is noise. Some people don't like noise .

Mainly the people that want to close trails to OHV use.....

I don't understand why everyone isn't trying to keep their bikes quiet ?

• 3 months later...

I droped a tooth up front and unless you ride technical trails all the time then I wouldnt recomend it.