Sign in to follow this  

CR80RB questions

I'm new here. It's been nearly 20 years since I rode off road bikes, but I wanted my kids to learn, so this weekend I bought a 1997 Honda CR80RB. Engine has 5 hours on it since a complete rebuild. Bikes in great shape, but I have a few questions.

What is the difference between the 80R and 80RB? Google says that the RB is "expert". I think that I have figured out that the front tire is larger, but about all I've learned about the RB. Can anyone help me out?

The bike is missing a few of the decals. Can anyone tell me where I can get a new set without breaking the bank?

On the left side, there is a plastic pannel that goes from the tank forward to cover the radiator. Is there supposed to be a similar pannel on the right side? If so, where might I get this pannel?

Are there any other things I should know about this bike?

Thanks for the help,

Dan

no the pannel is not supposed to be on the right side only on the left, the rb or "expert" is just taller by about an inch, and try ebay for cheap graphics you can get a whole new set of graphics for probably 20 or 30 dollars, oh and the bike does not have alot of bottom end power so your kids might think it is easier to ride on the trail if you bump the front sprocket down one or two teeth, jt sprockets sells a 13 tooth front sprocket for only 10 dollars, the bike may foul alot of plugs if the fuel ratio isnt right, so you will most likely want to run a 40-1 ratio of oil to fuel, i run the br8es plug instead of the recomended br10eg because for me it runs better with the br8, you will most likely leak oil between where the pipe and silencerconnect i siloconed the gap so it would not leak, i would definitly buy guards if you are going to ride on the trail, and there is not much protection that comes stock on the cr80 so i would buy a skidplate, and unless the tires have been replaced recently they probably need to be replaced, also the chain will problably need to be replaced, and check your reeds 2, i would also clean the carberator and clean the air filter before i rode the bike to heavily, if your kids eventually want more power a pipe is not the right mod here is what i think you should do

1 aftermarket air filter

2 v force 3 reeds

3 13 or 14 tooth front sprocket

those are in my opinion the cheapest mods to give you nice power gains and a snappier feel

oh and the bike does not have alot of bottom end power so your kids might think it is easier to ride on the trail if you bump the front sprocket down one or two teeth, jt sprockets sells a 13 tooth front sprocket for only 10 dollars, the bike may foul alot of plugs if the fuel ratio isnt right, so you will most likely want to run a 40-1 ratio of oil to fuel, i run the br8es plug instead of the recomended br10eg because for me it runs better with the br8, you will most likely leak oil between where the pipe and silencerconnect i siloconed the gap so it would not leak, i would definitly buy guards if you are going to ride on the trail, and there is not much protection that comes stock on the cr80 so i would buy a skidplate, and unless the tires have been replaced recently they probably need to be replaced, also the chain will problably need to be replaced, and check your reeds 2, i would also clean the carberator and clean the air filter before i rode the bike to heavily, if your kids eventually want more power a pipe is not the right mod here is what i think you should do

1 aftermarket air filter

2 v force 3 reeds

3 13 or 14 tooth front sprocket

those are in my opinion the cheapest mods to give you nice power gains and a snappier feel

Thanks for the great info. Where is a good place to get the guards, the skid plate, and some other items for this bike? There is no local Honda dealer...that I trust, so online is the best option for me. Got a good source?

Thanks,

Dan

i had acerbis minicross rally handguards for a long time but now i just ordered a pair of moose aluminum handguards, i love the acerbis but for the nearly the same price you can get the moose ones which are more sturdy and would probably protect your hands better, right now i have a costom home made skid plate but i am trying to get a works connection skid plate which will protect better, believe it or not, ebay is probably the best source for parts you may have to be a little more patient to get stuff but if you wait you can find stuff for very cheap, try typing in works connection in motorcycle parts on ebay. i ordered the handguards, i need them now, they are a bit pricy at 60$ but my dad swears by them so i figured they are worth a try. and the reeds, sprocket and air filter will cost you about $150, i would order the parts from a better dealership, if it is far away wait untill you are making a trip near where it is located, order the parts the week before you go and pick them up when you are there. hope this helps

The swingarm on the Expert is also longer to accomodate the larger rear wheel. Cometic offers a thinner base gasket which will give it more lowend grunt by altering the port timing and raising the compression. The Boyesen Rad valve is more suited to the power band you are looking for than the V-Force, though both would be a good choice. Cometic also offers a thicker exhaust gasket which essentially lengthens the head pipe for more low end. Tdub

The swingarm on the Expert is also longer to accomodate the larger rear wheel. Cometic offers a thinner base gasket which will give it more lowend grunt by altering the port timing and raising the compression. The Boyesen Rad valve is more suited to the power band you are looking for than the V-Force, though both would be a good choice. Cometic also offers a thicker exhaust gasket which essentially lengthens the head pipe for more low end. Tdub

That's some great info there!! :thumbsup:

How many teeth on the stock front sprocket???

Do I need anything besides the aftermarket air filter? Will I have to modify the existing airbox in order to make it work?

I would simply look at the bike to find these things out, but it is out on my dad's farm at the moment.

Thanks,

Dan

i would run a 32:1 ratio on oil. i run br8es for my plugs and i have to change one maybe 2 times a year. you may want to silicon the connection between the motor and the muffler because they tend to leak. other than that they are good bikes. alot to do to them to help with performance. just check my garage to see what i have done. this bike does race motocross/supercross but it also races hare scrambles and rides really well in the woods. altho i would gear it down for a beginer rider.

How many teeth on the stock front sprocket???

Do I need anything besides the aftermarket air filter? Will I have to modify the existing airbox in order to make it work?

I would simply look at the bike to find these things out, but it is out on my dad's farm at the moment.

Thanks,

Dan

15 teeth are stock on the front sprocket, no you do not need anything but the airfilter, and you dont have to modify it,