Sign in to follow this  

1985 XR100 Stiffer rear spring?

Hi everyone,

I just bought a 1985 XR100 for my son yesterday and would like to install a stiffer rear spring. Any ideas? Retailers? Adapt from a bigger bike?

Thanks,

Todd

BBR makes a stiffer rear spring but I wouldn't recomend it. your shock doesn't have the dampening to control it and it won't last.

The only good solution is a works performance shock they work very well but are kind of pricey.

Agreed.

The BBR springs completely overwhelms the rebound damping on the stock shock body. Marginal for dirt, and horrible for roadracing/motard. Works or a custom are about it.

I have BBR springs front and rear on my 04 XR100, along with a BBR frame cradle. Personally, I'm happier with the performance of the rear spring than I am with the fork springs. The rebound damping is a little light on the stock shock when used with the BBR spring, but I'm very satisfied with the way the bike rides and handles overall. Its not perfect, but a huge improvement over stock. Then again, I weigh 200 lbs, so a small kid might not like the stiffness. The BBR fork springs, on the other hand, caused a harsh slam on rebound as the forks topped out. I changed to 30 weight oil in the fork and it helped a lot

Thanks. After looking at the rear shock more closely, it looks as if the bushings are completely wore out with gobs of play. After replacing these, I should gain about an inch-or-so of seat height. AFter that, I'll consider the over-spring on the rear, but I shouldn't need it yet.

Thanks again.

You might also try wrapping some sort of vinyl tubing or hose around the shock between the coils. I read about this mod for stiffening the rear of an XR100 on a site for supermoto. This sounds like a cheap and effective way to increase the stiffness of the rear end without over-taxing the rebound circuit or causing a harsh top-out effect.