Sign in to follow this  

Painting Exhaust

Hey Guys

Sorry if this post is in the wrong place, I have done a search but can't find what i'm looking for. Anyway. I want to spray paint my exhaust as it has quite a few scratches on it. My question is, is this a good idea? I have had some guys tell me to do it, and others tell me that after a few rides it will actually look worse. Is it recommended to do this? If so, is there a link where I can see how to do it properly.

Thanks all

i wanted to do this too, and i asked a friend who has been dirt biking for over 30 years and he said its ok to do it...BUT he said, it will look great when you paint it, but the first time you get the pipe wet, it will go back to looking like it used to... so im just going to wait to paint it right before i sell it..

i painted mine with that high temp paint and it looks a hell of alot better than what it did. and believe me it's been submerged in water and been covered in mud and still looks okay. only part that takes most abuse is where boot rubs against it (took heat shield off) it is rubbing off but that happened before i painted it. i did make sure i sanded it down before i painted it though i prepped it pretty goodbefore i actually painted it. flat black not gloss

I painted one of my exhausts with 1500 degree spray paint and it looks fine. Just make sure the pipe is clean. I used some steel wool and then wiped it down with some alcohol to get any oil off. I put on a couple light coats to avoid runs.

where do you get that paint?

Lowes has a good selection of high temp paints

yeah i think the key is prep before you paint. the steel wool and my dremel with a wire wheel is what i used.