Sign in to follow this  

Anywhere to ride in San Luis Obispo?

I am going to be in SLO in the next week or so. I want to bring my bike and go riding out there. Where is a good place yo go? Good forest roads and fire roads is where my skills are right now.

There are fire roads in the hills behind Lake Lopez that can be fun. There is also Pozo which has a lot of trails and fire roads. Pozo is north of SLO and takes about an hour to get to if I remember right.

We used to go up to the Ridge at the top of the Cuesta Grade. You can get ona fire road at the bottom of the grade, take it all the way up the hill and along the ridge. It's not teribbly long or difficult, but it's still fun.

go to pismo. even if you don't want to ride the sand checking out all the toys is fun as hell.

I copied and did a little pasting from my response to a thread someone posted about riding near Paso Robles, which is about 30 min. from SLO.

From San Luis, depending on what type of riding you like...

Trails: Pozo

Sand: Pismo (about 30 or 40 min south)

There is also some trail riding at Ballinger.. off of hwy. 166.

If you have red sticker.. you can't ride at pozo or ballinger... unitl the season opens again, not sure when it does... maybe around Oct?

There isn't much for riding around our parts... but, if you think you might enjoy riding in the sand, defintely check out Pismo!

There are a lot of motocross tracks if you go east about an hour and a half to, two hours. There is a membership only track called MotoClub in Santa Maria which is about 30 min South of SLO.. they have one day a month where you can "guest ride".

Im my case, i ride track so we are always driving at least an hour and a half to go riding which doesn't bother me because i really enjoy the tracks they have.

Pozo is a fun place to ride, even though it is beat up.

.......or rent a quad and have some real fun!

:ride::thumbsup:

If you like fire roads go out to Lake Lopez and take High Mountain Road over to Pozo. You need to be street legal and it is lightly patrolled by Rangers. You can connect at the intersection near the top with the Garcia Ridge trail which is a little harder but not bad. You can pick up a USFS map of the Pozo-LaPanza area that has pretty much everything on it. If you stay off the paved roads a green sticker is OK.

Be careful on the East Cuesta Ridge, I hear you can get a ticket if you aren't street legal, also you can stray onto very unfriendly private property if not careful. It is possible to ride all the way to HWY 41 and the campground there, but I have only done it on a mtn bike.