Sign in to follow this  

Boots

Five words: DON'T SKIMP ON SAFETY EQUIPMENT!

Yesterday, at the track, I went into a chain link fence and fractured three bones in my foot, probably because of my old, worn out boots. If I had been wearing good boots I probably would've been able to escape the crash with a couple of scratches. But instead, I'm off the bike and on crutches for an estimated six weeks. So, I'm looking for new boots. I'd like to keep them under 200 bucks, so I've narrowed my search down to Tech 4's, O'Neal M10's, Thor Quadrants, Shift Combats, Fox Trackers, and Gaerne RX2's. What would you guys pick out of these? I'm open to any other boot suggestions as well.

Thanks.

ouuch that sucks man, but i bet you will be able to ride before the six weeks are up!

ouuch that sucks man, but i bet you will be able to ride before the six weeks are up!

I sure as hell hope so!

I sure as hell hope so!

Take your own advice then, and don't skimp on boots. Sidi's, Alpinestar's, Garnea, whatever, but not cheap. My preference is, and always will be Sidi's. The full fiberglass footbed, and exoskeleton is what I want around my feet and ankels.

Dodger

On the short time i have been riding i have put some serious abuse on my boots.

Wether on a crash or when you stick your leg out offroading, trail, enduro riding they take some serious punishment.

If you are going to spend money on gear let it be on boots.

Any helmet over 80 bucks will protect you the same, above $80 bucks the diference is in weight, coolness and graphics.

But rewarding boots price does make a diference in safety, stay away from elements, t 30, quadrants and so on. If you are going to buy trackers or a similar boot make sur you replace them once they loose their original stiffness which wont take too long.

I am using some trackers right now, i completely messed up some thor boots in 3 months; and my next boots will be some garne`s sg 10.

Just my .02 cents

sorry about your foot. i just bought the quadrant ATV's (lugged sole) and i'm very happy with them. $121 shipped. i'm pretty sure i would have ended up with foot or ankle injuries if i hadn't worn them last ride and they are suprisingly comfortable and break in quickly. hope you heal up soon.

Bobby

Gaerne's for sure-- $169.95 gets you a whole lot of boot for the money ( I work at motosport outlet ) and I think Gaerne is the way to go.

... So, I'm looking for new boots. I'd like to keep them under 200 bucks,

Thanks.

you are skimping... take your own advice. From the looks of your garage, it looks like you spend your money wisely. Don't stop now. The boots are worth it.

I had cheap boots. Then I broke 5 bones in my foot. I was off of the bike for 8 weeks, limped around for another 4 or 5 after that.

I now wear SIDI crossfires and a laceup anke brace to go along with it.

Now... when I was at the local mx accessory store, standing there in my walking cast, looking at boots, I looked for the best boot, regardless of price. From what I saw, the tech 10 and the crossfire offered the best protection. The tech 10 was more comfortable, but the crossfire with the srs sole is top notch, in my opinion.

Shop for the best price once you have selected the boot. But, at $200 new, you severely limit yourself. Keep saving.

I got the crossfires because of the replaceable parts on it. It should last me for years so long as I keep replacing the soles and the protective guards. Its $400 and the soles are replaceable for about $20 with a phillips screwdriver.

I ride offroad instead of tracks, but if you were to look at my wr450, I have a couple thousand dollars in pipes, headers, stabilizers, gps, etc... Looking back, I should have spent that money on boots and suspension the first time.

Good Luck.

Does anyone know anything about the new motard boot? I think that would be perfect for me since its a dual sport bott with mud capabilities but NOONE knows anything about them. I do drag the outside foot on most corners anyways so atleast I could replace the soles easier. I cant tell if its the same boot with just a different sole or not? HELp anyone.

Just got back from the Orthopedic doctor. Looks like I'm going to need surgery and pins as my foot and toes got crushed and thrown out of whack. It's unlikely that I'll be riding for the rest of the season and the beginning of hockey season doesn't look bright either. I talked with my mom and she is willing to get me some high-end boots. I can't work to help buy them but she's fine with buying me gear to keep me safe. I feel really lucky to have her support like this, instead of just saying "no more motocross".:thumbsup:

Any other recommendations?

...I'm going to need surgery and pins as my foot and toes got crushed...

...I talked with my mom and she is willing to get me some high-end boots...

...I feel really lucky to have her support like this, instead of just saying "no more motocross".:thumbsup:

Any other recommendations?

I've got a good recommendation.

1. start doing research on the "safest" boots and other protective gear. Look for the best boot, not the best boot you can afford. Then aim for that. Wait for the swelling to go down before buying your new boots.

2. take it easy and slow down. Smell the roses! I imagine that your post count will dramatically increase on TT since you are injured. Mine did.

3. start eating right. Lots of calcium, proteins, etc... Your body will need the extra healing power.

4. take what little money you may have, go online, and buy your mom some flowers. You are in an incredible situation and should show your appreciation .

(I would say take her out to dinner, but you can't walk :ride::applause: )

I think you will be out for 2-3 months based on what I went through. It will seem as though you will be healed in 6 weeks, but its more to it than mending bones.

I've got a good recommendation.

1. start doing research on the "safest" boots and other protective gear. Look for the best boot, not the best boot you can afford. Then aim for that. Wait for the swelling to go down before buying your new boots.

2. take it easy and slow down. Smell the roses! I imagine that your post count will dramatically increase on TT since you are injured. Mine did.

3. start eating right. Lots of calcium, proteins, etc... Your body will need the extra healing power.

4. take what little money you may have, go online, and buy your mom some flowers. You are in an incredible situation and should show your appreciation .

(I would say take her out to dinner, but you can't walk :applause::applause: )

I think you will be out for 2-3 months based on what I went through. It will seem as though you will be healed in 6 weeks, but its more to it than mending bones.

All good ideas. :thumbsup: I just picked up some Gaerne SG10's. I think these will provide excellent protection. As for the flowers, I'll be doing that ASAP, not only for buying me the boots but also for taking care of me.

As for recovery, I already try to eat as healthy as I can. I'm definetly not going to rush the recovery and take it easy, rushing the process isn't going to help anything (already learned that lesson at the track :ride: ).

Thanks for the replies.

I do not understand how we spend $6000 on a motorcycle,$120 on a set of tires that last 2-5 rides,and $10 a gallon on race fuel and skimp on protection.

I agree that $430 is alot for boots or a helmet, but how much has the injury

cost you?? I feel that the better equipment also protects better. The largest

factor in cost is research not cool factor. Any company can make boots or

helmets that can pass standards but are you only worth the minimum protection?

So, I'm looking for new boots. I'd like to keep them under 200 bucks,

Yeah man, don't skimp on safety equipment. Spend an extra hundred and get some Gaerne SG-10's or something...

Yeah man, don't skimp on safety equipment. Spend an extra hundred and get some Gaerne SG-10's or something...

Read my last post, that's exactly what I ended up getting.