Sign in to follow this  

Jim Pomeroy is gone

Jim Pomeroy is one of the legends of our sport.

Sadly he passed away in a Jeep accident this last weekend.

Motorcycle Hall of Fame: Jim Pomeroy

http://www.motorcyclemuseum.org/halloffame/hofbiopage.asp?id=85

* The first American to win an FIM World Championship MX Event (Spain 1973)

* The first rider to win his debut World GP MX race (Spain 1973)

* The first American to lead the World MX Championship (Spain 1973)

* The first rider to win a World MX GP on a Spanish MX bike (Bultaco)

* The first winner of an indoor Supercross race (Houston, 1974)

* The first American to lead the Trans-AMA Championship (1975)

* The first American to win a moto at the U.S. 500cc GP race (Carlsbad 1977)

* The first non-world champion to win the Trophies des-Nations event (1974)

Man Killed in Rollover Wreck Near Tampico

http://www.kapptv.com/index.php?sect_rank=1&story_id=185700

One man is dead and a girl is recovering from injuries after a rollover wreck east of Tampico Sunday. Washington State Troopers say 53 year old Jimmy Pomeroy rolled his jeep heading westbound on the 19000 block of Ahtanum Road just after 11 A.M. Sunday. He died at the scene. Medics rushed his 9 year old daughter, Jamie, to the hospital. Doctors treated her injuries, then released her.

I am stunned.........class act. Godpseed Jimmy.

From the YakimaHerald.com Online News. ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Published on Monday, August 7, 2006 Printable Version E-mail to a Friend Motocross pioneer Jim Pomeroy dies in auto accident By JESSICA WAMBACH YAKIMA HERALD-REPUBLIC The motorcycling world today is mourning the death of a Yakima man who changed the face of U.S. motocross. Jim Pomeroy, known for being the first American to win a World Championship Motocross event, died Sunday morning while driving near Tampico. "When the book of motocross is written, Jim Pomeroy will be in the first chapter," said Bill Grubin, owner of Grubin and Company motorcycle shop on Fruitvale Boulevard. Pomeroy, 53, was driving west on Ahtanum Road with his 9-year-old daughter, Jamie, about 10:45 a.m. Sunday. He was 15 miles west of Yakima when he left the road, according to a news release from the Washington State Patrol. His 1979 Jeep CJ5 struck a telephone pole guy wire and came to rest on its side. Pomeroy died at the scene. His daughter sustained minor injuries; she was treated and released from Yakima Valley Memorial Hospital. The cause of the accident was driver inattention, according to the news release. Pomeroy lived in Yakima with his wife, Linda, and their daughter. He came from a long line of motocross racers and his father, Don, who died last year, owned Pomeroy Cycle Shop in Sunnyside and Yakima for many years. Pomeroy, who was born in Sunnyside, gained fame in 1973 when at the age of 20 he became the first person to win his debut world championship event, the Spanish Grand Prix. It was the first American victory at a world Grand Prix event, and Pomeroy took the lead in the overall World Motocross Championships that year. "Up until that point the Europeans dominated the world in the sport of motocross or motorcycling," Grubin said. "Once Jim Pomeroy won that race, he changed the face of motorcycling in the United States forever." Winning many more important races before he retired from professional motocross in 1980, Pomeroy helped the United States come to dominate the motocross scene. After retiring, he remained active in the sport by working with young riders at motocross schools. In 1999, the American Motorcyclist Association celebrated Pomeroy's success by inducting him into the Motorcycle Hall of Fame. "He was my childhood hero," said Grubin, a friend of Pomeroy's since the two met in Yakima in 1989. "I was driving down the road one day with a Bultaco Pursang (motocross bike)," Grubin said. "I had it in the back of my pickup and he ran me down and said, 'Where did you get that bike?'" Although Pomeroy's name is recognizable to any serious motocross fan worldwide, he never had much attention at home in the Yakima Valley, Grubin said. "Jim wasn't the kind of guy who wanted the spotlight," he said. "He made no enemies in the motocross world."

:thumbsup:

Dwight

Jim Pomeroy was truly my hero. I had the poster of him winning the Spanish GP on my bedroom wall. I was semi sponsored by Bultaco, and lined up next to him at the start of the 2nd moto of the St. Louis Trans-AMA in '75. He pulled the holeshot and won the moto. Some of the factory guys were a bit snobbish back then, but Jim was truly a good guy who would always have time to say hi and talk to you. This is a sad day.

I'm shocked, how sad, I too had Jim Pomeroy's poster hung in my room and raced a Pomeroy replica Pursang back in the 70's. we'll miss ya Jimbo.

I was there that day in St. Louis and was taking photos and trying to use a friends 8mm camera. I don't know whatever happened to the movie but I remember I had a clip of Pomeroy with a big lead a few turns after the start with the pack about 30 yards back. Here are a few of the pics.

Pit bike

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v410/Chiefan/Whoneedsashirt.jpg

Second start Pomeroy is already gone around the next bend.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v410/Chiefan/2ndmotostart.jpg

Shadowed by the Man

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v410/Chiefan/Hescoming.jpg

Jimbo was a hero of mine and will be missed.

Jim was inspirational and an mx icon.....Godspeed Bimbo!

In '82 Jim ironmanned a grand prix less than 50 miles from his home, I teamed with a buddy. There was one racer with the sponsering club that was about 300 lbs riding a Honda XR200 or the like. I remember passing the fat guy twice in the laps that I ran, Jim must have passed him about 4 times in the eight 13 mile loops, the fat guy was very very slow and very hard to miss noticing when passing. All the other guys looked pretty much the same to me, so there was no keeping track of who else you passed and how many times.

I was suspicious of the sponsering club to begin with, but that's another story. Anyway, at the awards ceremony, first place went to a 40 yr old club member, 2nd to 5th probably went to club members too, but when the 6th place finisher was called, the fat XR200 guy walked up and accepted it, yes he was a sponsering club member. When Jim's name was called for 7th place, he was embarrassed to walk up there, but he did, he muttered a few quiet words of astonishment, shook his head and walked off. My buddy and I were happy to place next, right behind Pomeroy, but knew that we all had been robbed. But, heck, if Jim Pomeroy could keep his head and accept "defeat" by this 300 pound spode, who were we to complain?

By the way, Jim Pomeroy's name was never brought up, except in the trophy presentation, then his name received no more accolades than anyone else. He gave no indication of being who he was, he rode incognito and didn't have throngs of supporters, he seemed to be there on his own. He was retired from racing by then, but still did a few local races from time to time. The fact that he died in his 27 year old Jeep CJ5 sounds like Jim Pomeroy, he wasn't into bling, he was just a humble guy with no pretenses of superiority and no need to prove himself.

He was a true hero of the sport.

If you have a long history in MX or you just want to learn how bikes evolved over the years this is a fascinating site. Now that Jimbo is gone this shows another side of a guy who really loved motocycles and racing in all forms. The recent shot of Jim and his old works bike with the Peoria TT shirt says it all. Don't miss going all the way to the end of the page.

http://www.mxworksbike.com/1977%20RC500_3.htm