Sign in to follow this  

sm front fender difference on hiway

I just put a SM front fender on my bike this weekend. I didn't really mind the big mud flap for a front fender but I liked the looks of the SM fender much better. I immediately noticed a lot of head shake on the highway was gone. I had seen the dirt fender flopping back and forth before on the highway but didn't think it made much difference in handling. Man was I wrong. It is so much better at highway speeds. I had no idea that the dirt fender was causing so much turbulence at higher speeds. I guess it makes sense that the SM would want a fender more suited for high speed but dang, they should post a warning on the dirt one like " CAUTION- will cause the bike to be less stable at high speed". Oh, and I went for a dirt ride this weekend too, about 50 miles of powerlines we rode, I got a lot of mud splash up on me without my big old dirt fender but I won't swap back, the SM fender is much better for me. Just thought I'd post this for some of the guys talking about highspeed stability, ditch that dirt front fender for a much smoother highway cruise with the SM version. JMTCW

I agree! I put an Acerbis SM fender on mt DR-Z400S and I'll never go back to the stock "wind kite" fender. Much more stable at highway speeds. I haven't run it with the dirt wheel set-up yet, but I won't mind the minmal coverage and it looks a lot better too!

I have the YZ blue color and it matches the DRZ blue pretty well.

ahhh,this is great info.i was about to order one but i thought i'd read your thread first.guess i'm getting one for sure now :thumbsup:

The funny thing is... I have my dirt fender on right now and my bike was getting a little scary at 85+ and I attributed it to my 606's. Makes me think I should go put my SM fender on with the 606's and see if it is still all over the road at speed.

Interesting point... I started working on my SM the day I got it so I always rode it with the Acerbis Supermoto fender and was wondering why some riders were complaining about high speed wobble/headshake... Thought it was a combination of the suspension / dirt wheels / tires on the S that caused these... I guess one can add the dirt fender to the list!

For a dual purpose I find my bike to be pretty stable... but then again, I have the SM. The only time it wobbles at high speeds is when I rough it up, which you should really not with the long travel suspension, but I like to play around :thumbsup: ...and even then, it always exhibits positive dynamic stability...