Sign in to follow this  

modernizing my 520

I just got an 02 520 in grate shape, I am just wondering if I can install an 03 rear subframe so I can use the cooler looking integrated rear fender and number plates and seat? also does any one know what range of year gas tank will fit this bike?

thanks

Yes you can fit the one peice rear fender. You will need the subframe, airbox, airbox cover, seat and fender.

Any year tank will fit as long as you have the seat to match.

I know you didn't ask this but, I just wanted to throw it out as an FYI since I too have an 02 520 EXC. After 02, KTM came out with some improved top end parts. I believe it was a cam chain tensioner, and some other stuff for the top end. I'm sorry I can't recall exactly everything right now but, it has been at least a couple of years ago that I upgraded all that stuff. Hopefully, some younger folks with better memories than mine will chime in here and you can also do some searches in this forum and probably find the hits.

These parts replaced weak parts that came with the original 02 and I think earlier 520s. I never did have any problems but when it was time to refresh my top end, I upgraded all the parts. Except for replacing a couple of gaskets and such, I haven't done anything to the bike out side of regular maintenance and it continues to run very strong.

Also, since you are new to KTM, do some searches on chain tension. It is critically important that you do not over tighten the chain. There are instructions on how to adjust it. Do some searches. I've never had a chain or hub problem thanks to knowing that information.

Also, check the wheel bearings regularly. Especially, if you do a lot of water crossings or ride in mud a lot. I've replaced mine a few times now. Not a big deal but it is better to catch them early rather than to let it become a bigger problem.

I ride a Husky most of the time now but, last weekend I took my 520 out. It did put a smile on my face. :thumbsup: It is still a great bike. I was climbing some very rocky trails with many rock faces even some protruding rock faces. This bike is amazing at how it just crawls right up and over that stuff. Yet, when you hit the soft stuff, it hauls. I also upgraded my suspension for my weight with heavier springs and re-valved it. Oh man! What an improvement.

Once you get your bike dialed, I think you are going to love it. I know I do.

:ride:

Paul

so does the 04-05 sub frame just bolt on with no mod? I did the same thing to my YZ426 an I loved it, I hope this works out too.

so does the 04-05 sub frame just bolt on with no mod? I did the same thing to my YZ426 an I loved it, I hope this works out too.

Just bolt it on and go.