Sign in to follow this  

Taneum Ridge or So. Fork Meadow?

Yesterday while riding the Taneum Ridge and Manastash trails one of our group realized that he might not make it back to Taneum Junction before running out of gas. We debated taking the trail through South Fork meadow to avoid going back up over the ridge but we had not been on that trail before and didn't know for sure what to expect. :thumbsup: By this point it was apparent the he wasn't going to make it back so we wanted to just get close to a road.

We made the decision to stay with what we knew and proceeded back up Taneum ridge and he ran out of gas about two miles short of the first road crossing. Wasn't a big deal as us four-stroke riders road back to Taneum Junction, loaded up on the trailer (we were beat!) and drove the road back up to the trail crossing and then carried some gas back to him in a backpack.

My question is should we have taken the South Fork meadow trail back instead of Taneum Ridge? Is there less elevation change or is it an easier (i.e. more fuel efficient) trail?

I'm assuming you made it to 4-corners, right? Best bet is to go the way you came. They redid the southfork trail and most likely you would have ran out of gas well before you hit any major intersection. Even though if you did take the southfork trail, he could've pushed his bike into south fork campground, either way, you'd still be walking the bike, or waiting for you to bring him back some fuel.

Little Jeff