Sign in to follow this  

harescramble bike?

i did one on saturday for the first time. it was pretty good actually. not nearly as good as say, an xr, but the bike still worked really nice

Definitely one of the best handling/suspended bikes out there, but the gear box (high 1st/low 5th) and the bike being hard to start are the only issues...Look at an electrical start bike or a 2-stroke for serious HS work...Wouldn't stop me from riding one every once in awhile, but if I'm going for the points I would pick another ride, just .02...

I agree with the above posts, but I personally won't choose another bike to race harescrambles with. Where I sacrifice in mid pack starts, I gain in the woods. The crf250 is one of the best handling "woods" bikes out there (my opinion). It's all personal preference and what feels good to you, so pick a bike and go have fun.

Ryan

STORM V87

04 CRF250R ('06 head)

I feel extremely comfortable on the bike in the woods but whats worrying me is reliablility and wear and tear on my motor. I have a 04 with kibblewhite valves and springs.

I feel extremely comfortable on the bike in the woods but whats worrying me is reliablility and wear and tear on my motor. I have a 04 with kibblewhite valves and springs.

My bike has 83 hours with the original valves. One seat recut and new springs @ around 52 hours.

Just checked then 10 minutes ago and they're perfectly in spec. Frst time I checked them in around 25 hours.

BTW- these are actual hourmeter hours, not guesstimated.

It's been 20 years since I rode a harescramble but rode one back in June. I have an 05 CRF250R which is the best motorcycle I have ever owned.

I weigh 200 lbs. and had racetech set-up my suspension for a 200 lb motocrosser. The bike is a blast to ride on a mx track (where I spend most of my time) and is great on open trails in the woods but honestly it damn near beat me to death during the harescramble.

I have absolutely no doubt that if the suspension was set-up for harescrambles it would be a rocket, however if you have your bike setup for soaking up 50 doubles, it may not work so good on fresh single track. IMHO.

The bike will be great, if you take care of it. Also you will need to change a few things on it to make it a woods bike. The only reason I went for an X over the R was the gear box and the fact I did not have to change anything like the rear rim, etc.

I see a number of people that have done the changes and the bikes works very well for them.

i run my 06 hs and gncc and i like it better than my gasgas runs sweet but hard to start 1st kick dont heat them up to hot on the line

I love my bike as a harescramble bike. I do agree with the before mentioned problems with the gearbox, it could really use a 6th gear. I have problems starting mine in a dead engine start too, maybe its just me though, i get a bit nervous each time I line up. The bike starts great every other time though, no valve issues. I race A class with no suspension mods just adjusted the clickers and set the sag and I think that it works fine. Good luck :ride::thumbsup:

I race A class with no suspension mods just adjusted the clickers and set the sag and I think that it works fine. Good luck :ride::thumbsup:

I race the A class too. You'll be amazed at the difference a revalve through Factory Connection will make.

It's a 100 times better than stock.

I'm running 13/51 gearing now, but trying 13/50 this weekend.

I race the A class too. You'll be amazed at the difference a revalve through Factory Connection will make.

It's a 100 times better than stock.

I'm running 13/51 gearing now, but trying 13/50 this weekend.

How did you like the 13/50 geraing?

How did you like the 13/50 geraing?

So far I like it. There's a lot more clutching involved in the tight stuff and I'm using first gear a lot more than before, but on the straights you can really open it up. It feels like a bigger bore bike with the 13/50 gearing.

I think for a novice rider 13/51 or 52 is better.