Sign in to follow this  

02 CR250 Airbox story

Purchased a 1999 CR250 Airbox/Airboot and Filter off ebay for $18.49 total.

The Airboxes are different in size.

AirboxesBottom.jpg

AirobxesTop.jpg

The '99 Airboot seals both sides of the airbox. The '02 one does not.

AirBoots.jpg

AirBootsotherside.jpg

Removed the plastic frame with a keyhole saw and drilled out the screw tabs.

CutoutPlasticFrame.jpg

Drilledandsawed.jpg

'99 Airboot in the '02 Airbox

Airbootseal.jpg

Metal frame - old rubber cement still on frame (outside Airbox view)

MetalFrame.jpg

Cleaned up metal frame and added fresh rubber cement

CleanedframewfreshRubberCement.jpg

Metal frame - Airboot installed (inside airbox view)

Frameinstalled.jpg

Finished job

Newboot.jpg

Readytoinstall.jpg

Side note. Had to use the '99 air filter basket insert as the 2002 basket does not fit over the metal brace (it is too narrow).

pretty close to the mod i made to my 01...nice job man. it was a lot of "fun time" with a dremel huh? :thumbsup:

P1000083.jpg

P1000080.jpgP1000084.jpg

Now you've both got me inspired to yank the airbox and get to it. As soon as I've got my jetting dialed...... Maybe next year sometime :ride::thumbsup: ??

I have the kit from PC racing that gives you an alum colar to replace the stock steel one. It fits much tighter and seals the box to boot well. It also comes with the seal for the air filter side so you don't need grease on the rim. I don't recall how much I paid for it back then when I bought the bike it was one of the first mods I did. Honda had a service bulletin that was mailed out. They would pay for your dealer to take it apart and goo the thing with RTV. I just went with the PC kit.

pretty close to the mod i made to my 01...nice job man. it was a lot of "fun time" with a dremel huh? :ride:

No dremel for me. Drill press, razor knife and coarse sand paper. Lots of fun, actually an easy job.

Nice job on your mod kuritaro9. :thumbsup:

Difference between doing it on an 01 with and 02-up airbox, and an 02-up with an older boot is the carb angle. It all fits together (did my 02 this way in 02) but the carb on the 02 and up will hit the cases...mine did anyway. Reason being the angle for the intake going into the case as opposed to the cylinder.

I ended up using MX Bonz instead. Their setup is far more sturdy (might be overkill) than the 01 and earlier metal frame and flimsy boot collar.

Skip, I see you have an 01 engine in your 03? What did that involve?

I posted the details here and I'll be adding more info soon. It's pretty straight forward. You need the '01 engine, cooling system, pipe and electronics. Some very minor frame mods are required and you'll have to fab some head stays (You start with 125 head stays and I've got some drawings of the final product). Shifter and kick start lever are common between the two engines but there is a kickstart-frame interference that needs to be resolved (I removed some kickstart and some frame material). The '01 airboot is a better fit to the carb (I'm running the PWK), but fitting it to the '02-up airbox requires creativity as per this thread. If you plan ahead, you should be able to knock out the entire project in a long weekend :thumbsup: .

I have already fit the 01 boot to an 02 box so it sounds like the hard part is done :thumbsup:

I'll take a look at your link...THANKS

Very creative! Good job. Did you notice any difference in power characteristics? By changing the airboot & angle from air box to carb. I just used a Pro Seal rim & gasket kit. It seems to be holding up good.

Hondasforlife,

"Did you notice any difference in power characteristics? By changing the airboot & angle from air box to carb? "

We are in our rainy (monsoon) season here in southern AZ. We've had torrential downpours for two weeks every afternoon and then light rain during the night. A friend told me that Nomads MX park is just a series of pools. I hope to jump on the bike this afternoon and ride around the house (4 acres :thumbsup: ) but the forecast is rain everyday for another 9 days. I'll let you know when I can.

Hondasforlife,

"Did you notice any difference in power characteristics? By changing the airboot & angle from air box to carb? "

We are in our rainy (monsoon) season here in southern AZ. We've had torrential downpours for two weeks every afternoon and then light rain during the night. A friend told me that Nomads MX park is just a series of pools. I hope to jump on the bike this afternoon and ride around the house (4 acres :ride: ) but the forecast is rain everyday for another 9 days. I'll let you know when I can.

Hey man sorry about the ques. I'm from CA I didn't know you guys were having monzunes. BTW I never talked to guy who did the engine mod on your bike. :thumbsup:

Hey man sorry about the ques. I'm from CA I didn't know you guys were having monzunes. BTW I never talked to guy who did the engine mod on your bike. :thumbsup:

on my bike(01 modded for new body w/01 engine) i did notice a slight increase in the very top end. but, i cant say that it was the airbox or just getting better with the jetting. i changed so many things on the bike, that its hard to tell what did what on mine...

I passed your phone number to the person from whom I bought the bike. He said he would pass that information to the original owner (who had the work done) hoping that the original owner would pass it along to the mechanic (who lives in another small city in southern AZ). I didn't expect much but it was worth a try.

Based on my experience, the PWK should bolt right in to a stock '01. I used an '01 boot, '03 airbox, PWK and '01 engine in my '03 CR..... Everything lines up perfectly; I just had to adapt the '01 boot to the '03 airbox. You won't have that problem.

skip im sorry i have to disagree with you but IMO the kehin doesnt fit into the 01 as good as the purpose built 00 reed and carb boots

there was a gap that i did not like with on both ends, if you get the opportunity, try using an older one and see how much better it fits.