Sign in to follow this  

Normal?

Ok this is somewhat of a dumb questions but i want to ask anyways. I just put some header wrap on my pipe and wanted to run the bike for a bit with it on before my trip to KM this weekend, also my battery was dead (of course) so i let the bike idle for a bit while i did some work in the garage and after a bit the bike overheated! I think it is just because i lost track of time and let it idle to long but i just wanted to make sure this is normal and not due to the header wrap. Everyone had said the header wrap would help keep the engine cooler but i am always paranoid when doing new things to the bike since this is my first 4 stroker.

hehe, i am stupid i know! i just lost track of time in the garage :thumbsup:

man i love the electric start but the friggin battery is always dead. I have a bad right knee and spent the money on a new bike so that i didn't have to kick start it but i feel like i have to kick it over just as much. I did just invest in a jumps starter from pep boys! works great just connect to the battery and is starts everytime, only if they could make a battery that did this.

man i love the electric start but the friggin battery is always dead. I have a bad right knee and spent the money on a new bike so that i didn't have to kick start it but i feel like i have to kick it over just as much. I did just invest in a jumps starter from pep boys! works great just connect to the battery and is starts everytime, only if they could make a battery that did this.

They do, buy a new one.

I let mine sit for a month at a time and it always starts right up. Bought it in March '05.

You've spent $7k on your bike, now spend another $30 and buy a battery tender. It takes about 5 minutes to put the quick connecters on the battery terminals, and about 5 seconds to hook it every time you park the bike. Mine is on the battery tender 12 months a year, and the battery always has a full charge. The bike starts instantly, even in the dead of Winter. Well worth the $30.

You've spent $7k on your bike, now spend another $30 and buy a battery tender. It takes about 5 minutes to put the quick connecters on the battery terminals, and about 5 seconds to hook it every time you park the bike. Mine is on the battery tender 12 months a year, and the battery always has a full charge. The bike starts instantly, even in the dead of Winter. Well worth the $30.

I second that. Not to mention it will also triple the life of your battery. Sulfate has a hard time building up on charging battery plates.

There is a simple explanation for all of this. First the header wrap at idle... You see, the overheating of metabolic diodes in the header pipe due to the heat wrap have reacted with h2o portion of the cooling system liquid resulting in an obvious atomic flare. The worst case scenario would be to have a battery with a charge anywhere in the vicinity. Thus, batteries naturally take a crap when those bastard atomic waves seek out those bad right knee's. You'd think the thing had a mind of it's own. Not to fear however, simply take that warm header wrap when the thing over heats, wrap around the bad knee and wallah you have the issue resolved. Chunk the dead battery and start kicking your way into the emergency room. Trust me, I'm a doctor.

Ok this is somewhat of a dumb questions but i want to ask anyways. I just put some header wrap on my pipe and wanted to run the bike for a bit with it on before my trip to KM this weekend, also my battery was dead (of course) so i let the bike idle for a bit while i did some work in the garage and after a bit the bike overheated! I think it is just because i lost track of time and let it idle to long but i just wanted to make sure this is normal and not due to the header wrap. Everyone had said the header wrap would help keep the engine cooler but i am always paranoid when doing new things to the bike since this is my first 4 stroker.

It won't happen if you don't idle the bike for a long time. 4 stroke engines produce much more heat than a similar size 2 banger, so much less idle time is needed to bring a 4 stroke up to operating temp. As for the battery, I've never had a problem with my 05 (unless I flood the bike and have to run it down to start it). Honda does recommend that if the bike isn't going to be ridden for a while, remove the battery and put it on a trickle charger in a spot that isn't hot or cold or in the sun. Do that, and your battery should be fine. The best way to keep it charged, though, is to ride that bike.