Sign in to follow this  

Baja Trips?

Hey There!!

I was wondering if any of you could direct me to a good guide service for riding down in Baja. I work at motosport outlet and will be unemployeed soon ( business is moving operations ) and I am not able to relocate with them due to family here. On the positive side, I will have more free time to ride until I have to find another job. There are a few of us who have read stories about riding down there and it sounds like a GREAT time!!! We all here are motocrossers but the trips we hear about sound like a great time. Thanks for any help you can suggest.

yeah hey mark, You first have to buy a green card to get into the country leagally, or otherwise your a criminal. and secondly don't drink the water, makes you poopy - if you know what i mean.

Once you get across use the taxi serivce to get where you need to go, their fast and cheap.

hope that helps, 718

Baja Bound with Tim and Jennifer Morton. You will get a great ride with lots of support. Tim takes you on all kinds of terrain, with a pretty good amount of single track. It's not just a ho-hum trailride. The experts will love tailing a multiple time Baja 1000/500 winner. Call soon, as I know they're booking up fast for this coming season.

www.bajaboundmoto.com

Do a search.

Find someone experienced to ride with for your first trip.

Baja Bound has been highly recommended.

Right now is about the worst time to go to Baja. It's hotter than anything and hurricane season is coming up. But it won't be crowded.

Sorry about the job change. I've been through that too.

Thanks for the advice and info. I will check them out. The job was fun while it lasted. Now it is time to ride--Then find another job-lol.

wow...1800$ to use their bike,1200$ to use yours(4 day)...that seems awful pricy....is it really worth that much? sounds like a ball, but thats an expensive moto weekend.

wow...1800$ to use their bike,1200$ to use yours(4 day)...that seems awful pricy....is it really worth that much? sounds like a ball, but thats an expensive moto weekend.

1 - chase truck with medical supplies, spares, tools etc..

2 - knowledge about where to eat and where not to eat

3 - knowledge about where to stay and where not to stay (so your bike and gear don't get stolen)

4 - knowledge of the types of trails you want to ride (easy to difficult)

5 - emergency lifeline availability for worst case scenarios

6 - Spanish Speaking to keep you out of trouble with the federales & policia..

6 - etc..etc..etc

If you lived in So-Cal then I would say just take some short trips down there first and get used to it, talk to the locals, and then do it yourself. If your not from So-Cal then just cough up the cash and have all the stress of planning etc taken care of for you.. There is a lot of things that can go wrong in Baja if you don't know what you are doing.. :thumbsup::ride:

You're right. It's a lot of money. And, by the time you get to and from San Diego, it's a lot more. But, as Biggity noted, they take care of everything, at least Baja Bound does. When I went, they had Tim as the lead rider, two sweeps riders on radios, and two with the support truck. Transportation into and out of Mexico was provided, as well as, all lodging, food (pretty much all you can eat), and fuel. Fall down and go boom, and they were there to pick you up. Get a flat tire, and they fixed it.

Still a lot of $$$, but........

Yeah, the chris haines outfit is pretty much same thing:

Excellent/FAST/funny guides, all food, lodging, and drink paid for (except for beer) (and strippers in Ensenada), transpo in/out of Mexico to Sandy Eggo, support trucks, plus they'll fix your flats for you (only happened one time on our trip), they give you a tasty lunch on the trail every day, take your pick of a new bike (XR400, CRF450X, or XR650) with new rubber at the start of the ride, plus they carry a satellite phone for helo pickup if anyone gets hurt real bad out in the middle of nowhere...

You have to pay for your RT flight to San Diego though, so add that in...

All told, it's a little too expensive for me to do every single year, but it's definitely something I'll want do every OTHER year from now on. Big, big fun!

I live in SoCal so what I did was decide I want to ride in Baja. I then drove down with my GPS in hand. I marked every gas station and town on the pacific side one day. Then drove over to San Felipe and marked every gas station and stuff along the way there as well. Then, with knowledge of gas stops I went back with a motorcycle and just started riding and figuring it out. Granted I'm a total newbie as I've only been down there 10 or so times but I'm starting to get it figured out a little. Prepare to get hooked! My first legit motorcycle trip down there was a year ago and I've been addicted ever since. If I wasn't married I'd be down there 3 times a month.

I live in SoCal so what I did was decide I want to ride in Baja. I then drove down with my GPS in hand. I marked every gas station and town on the pacific side one day. Then drove over to San Felipe and marked every gas station and stuff along the way there as well. Then, with knowledge of gas stops I went back with a motorcycle and just started riding and figuring it out. Granted I'm a total newbie as I've only been down there 10 or so times but I'm starting to get it figured out a little. Prepare to get hooked! My first legit motorcycle trip down there was a year ago and I've been addicted ever since. If I wasn't married I'd be down there 3 times a month.

hhhhmmmmm...that sounds like a plan. i'm in riverside,been to mexico countless times, but never with my bikes....your idea sounds good...i will have to try that thanks

Just returned from an incredible trip that took me from Ensenada to Pirates Cove down the coast on Saturday, and over to the El Coyote and Mike's Sky Ranches on Sunday before heading back into town to get back up to LA. It made for a very easy turnaround guided trip with over 450 miles of singletrack/ and trail seat time! Definitely recommend it!!

Dont pay all that money. Get a couple of dependable friends and do it yourself. Start in San Felipe. Drive down, stay the night at any decent hotel. Then head south through Puertocitos (50 miles or so), good place to stop and have a cold one. If Cow pattys is open go there. You can ride the road or take the beach or ride the desert adjacent to the road. From Puertocitos take the road south down to Gonzaga Bay (70 miles or so) and stay at Alphonsinos. It is right on the beach and they will fill you full of fish tacos like you cant believe. The next day go south about 20 miles and see Coco's Corner. Coco is a classic. Go back to Gonzaga and eat more fish tacos and beer. Then head back to San Felipe. A perfect 4 or 5 day trip. The riding isnt real technical, but you will come across some good people and have a great time. Just dont go now--its way too hot, wait until mid Ocotber or next april. If your not sure of the route stick to the main road south of Puertocitos and you can not get lost. If you have someone with experience and are up to it, try to ride some of the baja route. Just make sure your arent going when guys are down there testing and preping for thea race. Those big ass trucks will run you over. Take some supplies to fix flats and make sure your bikes are mechanically sound and you will have an epic adventure. Good luck

I would love to do this, but my 2003 KX250 doesn't go very far on a full tank when compared to an XR400 or XR650. Are there a lot of places to stop for gas? Do you bring extra gas?