Sign in to follow this  

problems problems problems

ok... i got my valves done 2 months again everything was going great until i stalled the bike 3 weekends ago during the final lap of my moto and could not get it running. So i brought it to the dealership where i bought it and they had no clue waht it could be so they did a leak down test and it came up 25%. They told me i needed new pistons and rings so i had them order that took them too 2weeks to order that so now iv missed 3 races. They got the parts in friday put the bike back together saturday. Today they call me and tell me they cant get it started and that they have been on and off the phone with kawasaki and now they are saying that the cam sproket its bent. I was just wonder what causes this to happen?????

i have trouble believing that the cam sprocket is bent. and if you have any mechanical experiance whatso ever the best way to go is to do the work yourself. your could have got the piston, rings, and a gasket set from motosport outlet and have it at your door in 2 days.the dealers always have your bike for too long, take way to long to order the part-which you always pay more for- and slack off and dont get it finished.

if you get a service manual, then get the tools it is so much better, because you save tons of cash and you get the experiance.

it took my dealer 2 weeks to change a fork seal. next time im buying the tools and doing it myself. the only thing i would pay to have done is splitting the cases.

i didnt help you much but i needed to say that so i hope that it all works out right.

i was going to do it myself but we had no clue what was going on.

i have trouble believing that the cam sprocket is bent. and if you have any mechanical experiance whatso ever the best way to go is to do the work yourself. your could have got the piston, rings, and a gasket set from motosport outlet and have it at your door in 2 days.the dealers always have your bike for too long, take way to long to order the part-which you always pay more for- and slack off and dont get it finished.

if you get a service manual, then get the tools it is so much better, because you save tons of cash and you get the experiance.

it took my dealer 2 weeks to change a fork seal. next time im buying the tools and doing it myself. the only thing i would pay to have done is splitting the cases. :ride:

So......What you are saying is screw the dealer we don't need him? SO we can just recycling our old bikes till their ir-repareable. Good idea! Just so you know I don't work for a dealer but I support him fully. I get my work done in a timely fashion for a resonable price. Its guys like you with attitudes like that that makes dealers NOT want to support us. :thumbsup:

Now on to the problem at hand, Casey, have your dealer check the stick coil. I have seen them go bad on the 06' Also pull your flywheel and make sure the camchain retainer is still intact. It can break and take out the flywheel and stator. The one thing I can agree with mxnate on is it is doubtful your cam sprocket is bent!

i just called him and i was wrong its not bent it moved on the shaft

it took my dealer 2 weeks to change a fork seal. next time im buying the tools and doing it myself. the only thing i would pay to have done is splitting the cases. :ride:

So......What you are saying is screw the dealer we don't need him? SO we can just recycling our old bikes till their ir-repareable. Good idea! Just so you know I don't work for a dealer but I support him fully. I get my work done in a timely fashion for a resonable price. Its guys like you with attitudes like that that makes dealers NOT want to support us. :thumbsup:

Now on to the problem at hand, Casey, have your dealer check the stick coil. I have seen them go bad on the 06' Also pull your flywheel and make sure the camchain retainer is still intact. It can break and take out the flywheel and stator. The one thing I can agree with mxnate on is it is doubtful your cam sprocket is bent!

So what YOU are saying is that we should pay outrages labor rates,pay to much of a mark up on parts and wait until the stealership gets ready to fix our bikes?While I do try to support the local stealership with my parts and bikes I will never recommend somebody taking there bike to them for repair work! IF you have a great dealer be happy because most of us don't have that luxury!It's not heart surgery to keep a bike running,anybody that wants to can,and should learn how to wrench on his or her stuff.....agreed?

he said it is pressed on to the cam shaft and it spun like a tooth

So what YOU are saying is that we should pay outrages labor rates,pay to much of a mark up on parts and wait until the stealership gets ready to fix our bikes?While I do try to support the local stealership with my parts and bikes I will never recommend somebody taking there bike to them for repair work! IF you have a great dealer be happy because most of us don't have that luxury!It's not heart surgery to keep a bike running,anybody that wants to can,and should learn how to wrench on his or her stuff.....agreed?

Good call :thumbsup:

mine spun 5 teeth haha

What did they say caused yours to spin? there saying b.c mines 1 tooth off its impossible to start.

i agree the dealership has never helped me at any good rate of speed everthing has always be a slow push. and then their mark up if you have one that treats you fair then stick with them, but as for the rest of us dont say that its because of people like us that make dealers not want to help they started that themselves with their mark up and sh*ty service. mine doesnt give me a for sure price when i ask what somthing is worth and then i get a surprise when i go to pick it up and its 20$$ more so no insults or harsh words ar nessessary here lets all just say what we think in the nicest way possible.

well then consider yourself lucky because my dealers MECHANICS(not the dealer in general) dont get work done in the same month or at a resonable price. i like my dealer, i like the mechanics that work there, what i dont like is their work ethic or the place they gets their parts from. it takes "7-10" days to get any kind of part it doesnt matter what it is. then they charge sometimes higher then msrp. mail order is a lot cheaper for parts.

there is 2 kawasaki dealers in town here.one is closer and newer and one is where i got my bike/parts/help/ect. the other dealer cannot stock parts for shit. i went and asked them for 1 jet. 1 jet that probably fits in a lot of different bikes and they couldnt stock it. every time i go there they dont have what i need. even simple stuff like oil they cant stock. worst place ive ever been.

as for the cam...ive herd of that happening before and it doesnt make sense why kawasaki cant simply put a tach weld on the sprocket to keep it from moving. thats a bummer. hope it works out.

Most likely the cam locked up and caused the cam gear to move, if they don't fix the cam journal it will happen again. A good shop like WMR or RHC can repair the cam journal and weld the gear to the cam to be safe. I would pull the bike out of that dealership as soon as possible, it doesn't sound like they have a clue.

Look, I have heard all the nightmare stories about dealers all over the place. I can tell you from first hand knowlage, most dealers don't stock parts b/c there is not enough sales history to support it, kind of like the squeaky wheel gets the oil. I'll bwt he doesn't stock hard parts for his street bikes either. Ask him if he has wheel bearings for a ZX6? I'll bet he doesn't! As for mark up, everyone has their own philosiphy on that. My dealer uses his lightspeed price escalator to boost his margin on hard parts, but he doesn't make squat on accessories so in the end it equals out and he can make a living. Rest assured MOST again I said MOST dealers are not getting rich on parts and accessories nor is service a huge money maker, despite what you may think. Ask your local car dealer what his shop rate is!!! As you can tell I am a staunch supporter of my dealer. I have been riding for him since 1991 and he has almost never failed me. Maybe if you guys had more loyalty to your dealer he would be more inclined to help you out. Just a thought!

yeah there are the parts that wold be piontless to stock but then there are parts that should be selling alot.like at one of the kawasaki dealers here, only kawi dirt bikes. i have a 05kx250f probably the most popular bike he sells. the most broke part for it?? a valve. he didnot have a valve for his most popular bike and the most commonly replaced part. he couldnt even get one to me for 2 weeks. he hasnt had a single part i asked for only accesories like bars and grips i have gotten from this guy. that just doesnt make sense.

Look, I have heard all the nightmare stories about dealers all over the place. I can tell you from first hand knowlage, most dealers don't stock parts b/c there is not enough sales history to support it, kind of like the squeaky wheel gets the oil. I'll bwt he doesn't stock hard parts for his street bikes either. Ask him if he has wheel bearings for a ZX6? I'll bet he doesn't! As for mark up, everyone has their own philosiphy on that. My dealer uses his lightspeed price escalator to boost his margin on hard parts, but he doesn't make squat on accessories so in the end it equals out and he can make a living. Rest assured MOST again I said MOST dealers are not getting rich on parts and accessories nor is service a huge money maker, despite what you may think. Ask your local car dealer what his shop rate is!!! As you can tell I am a staunch supporter of my dealer. I have been riding for him since 1991 and he has almost never failed me. Maybe if you guys had more loyalty to your dealer he would be more inclined to help you out. Just a thought!

There you have it...should've dislosed this in your first rant. It changes things (and your credibility) just a wee bit!

Despite the length of time I have been with my dealer, he has proven to be pretty reliable from the begining. He earned my trust and loyalty almost immediately. I have never felt taken advantage of in either price or service. I even now as I enter the latter stages of my competitive career, I always get what I need.

I guess all I'm trying to say is, give your local guy a chance, talk to him and let him know what your need are and ways you can help help him if he can help you.

OK I'm done ranting now and will step off my soap box! :thumbsup:

Despite the length of time I have been with my dealer, he has proven to be pretty reliable from the begining. He earned my trust and loyalty almost immediately. I have never felt taken advantage of in either price or service. I even now as I enter the latter stages of my competitive career, I always get what I need.

I guess all I'm trying to say is, give your local guy a chance, talk to him and let him know what your need are and ways you can help help him if he can help you.

OK I'm done ranting now and will step off my soap box! :thumbsup:

I believe every word your saying...and your guy might not only be great to you but also great to the public. But that's not the norm...unfortunately. I have lived in 2 major cities and 1 mid level city, dealing w/ 6 different dealers. And 5 of the 6 of them are "booked" for weeks, rape you on parts, and take way too long to get parts. This seems to be fairly typical.

I guess the point trying to be made earlier by someone else is try to fix things yourself if you can. You'll save money, it'll go faster, and you'll have the pride factor of doing it yourself.

Hey casey i recently worked an o 06 kx-250f where the intake cam sprocket spun 10 teeth. My buddy only rode the bike twice. The dealer told him to bad and sent him on his way. I guess he will never buy from that dealer again!! Oh i forgot to mention this was after the dealer charged the hell out of him for a bad oil leak after the first ride.!!!