Sign in to follow this  

Transmisssion Problems.

Ok, While riding at Redbud yesterday 8-6-06 I lost second gear. It seems like it's in neutral when riding. if I try starting off in 2nd you can hear it trying to engage and feel it shutter also at this point its very hard to shift down to 1st. If i'm moving it shifts to second then to third not hard at all.

I think the shift fork is bent, but I don't know for sure. anyone else run into this problem and what was the cause and fix.

Thanks.

BTW, even with out 2nd I was still faster then alot of people and I doubled Larocko's leap, cleared the finish and entry to LL table tops. and Hit the ski jump like mad. Would have been so much funner had I had second to get proper speed in the corners to be able to clear more..

My 2005 did what sounds like the exact same thing about 3 weeks ago. My Dad and I pulled it apart (for the 2nd time, after doing it about 3 weeks before that) and the left hand selector fork was bent, and you could see where it had been rubbing on the "tumbler drum." This had also damaged the dogs on 2nd gear on the sprocket shaft (driven shaft) and the "engager" thingy that the fork runs in, so we changed them and the selector fork.

I have done one motocross meeting on it since then, and, so far, it is going good.

The first time we took it apart was because it wouldn't change into some of the gears properly (3rd and 4th I think). That time we changed the right hand selector on the "sprocket" shaft (it was bent) and a 4th and 5th gears on the sprocket shaft (driven shaft) as they had damage to the dogs. That fixed it for a couple of motocross', but then it started doing what yours is doing (see above).

A guy I know had a similar syptoms to yours (and mine the second time) with either a KX125 or a KX80, only this was caused by one of the selector springs on the clutch side being broken (NOT the clutch springs, of course). So, it might pay to take the clutch out and have a look at those two springs before you (or the shop) start stripping it right down.

It is also worth noting that the dogs on alot of my gears showed signs of wear. Because these gears are expensive, we only changed the severely worn ones and the ones in the effected gears.

It can sometimes be hard to detect what the problem is, and the first time we took it apart, it was hard to tell that the selector fork was bent, so pay close attention to this.

Hope this helps :thumbsup:

Thanks, that's what I was thinking would be wrong. I'll know probably tomorrow when I rip it apart. I'm getting sick of this bike. It's allways breaking and costing me money.. once this trans is fixed I may sell and go back blue.

Well, Split the cases apart last night. Turns out the driven side of the transmission upper shift fork was bent and had been ground down pretty badly from Missing the gear. The cause I am assuming was landing a cased jump with my foot on the shifter causing the shift shaft to bend along with bending the shift fork. There is damage too first gear along with thee shift selector. and fork how ever I couldn't find any other problem. it's weird first was the only gear that got shaved from the dogs. O well.

Pictures to come tonight when I get home from work.

To Be honest this bike is a nightmare. I plan on selling it at the end of the season and going back blue. I've had more problems with this bike in 1 year then I've had in 5 years with all my other bikes combined.

Anyways how much is one of those transmissions?

Hrumm. Started working on putting the frame back togther found more problems.

Linkage bearings are shot. [pro circuit linkage] and the every part is dirty. I hate cleaning =(

trans parts on order.

2nd gear, 2nd3rd shifter, both outer shift forks, shift fork shaft, clutch-generator-& base gasket = $220

needing new linkage bearings

$80

Grand total on bike not including gas from march this year

2000 in parts and labor

Bike will be for sale at end of year if anyone is intrested.

procircuit port job

procircuit piston

procircuit full linkage

factory connection gold nitrade coated forks & shock

full worksconnection rad braces and frame guards

Monster graphics

New hotrod rod

Moose clutch basket siffer clutch springs

works connection eliete cluch pearch with hotstart

powernow carb fitting

jetter

procircuit full ti exhaust

procircuit ti wide flow foot pegs

procircuit upper tripple clamp

cr highbend protaper oversized bars

alluminum worksconnection throttle tube

Complete rear and front excell rim & tallon hubs with starcross rubber

moose rear sprocket

new ogio seat cover

renthat kevlar grips [they suck imo]

asv clutch black lever [yes its on the w/c eliete clutch pearch]

probably more that im forgetting.

Make me an offer.

Also knoted bike will be for sale to whom ever makes a good offer. bike will be rebuilt before september 4th for redbud.

damn, i've never had a problem with linkage bearings. how often do you clean yours? i clean and re-lube mine about once a month, when i'm riding our sand track a lot i do it about every 3 rides or so on the sand track. too expensive not to pull apart and clean.

and like i told you, about the only way to fix that tranny problem is to replace all the stuff on the output shaft. sucks nuts but fixes it. my rmz runs super smooth now.