Sign in to follow this  

Bent Forks?

I've taken a couple of spills lately and I am wondering if I bent my forks? They were not very major falls, just laydowns on wet grass going maybe 15 - 20 MPH. When I'm riding down the road and look at the triple clamp, it appears to be cocked slightly to the left. If I straighten it, I'll make a slight RH turn. The forks look OK and they seem to compress normally. Is this just an optical illusion or something? :thumbsup:

I would not think that laying down the bike like you saying would bend the forks. I would think it would take more then that. Me and my buddy both have a 01 S and both bikes have gone down quite a few times like you are saying and the forks are fine. If it rides fine on the road etc... I think you are fine.

I didn't think they would bend that easily, but it always catches my eye as I'm driving. It's like having steering wheel out of alignment, it's annoying, but I wanted to be sure. Thanks for the input. :thumbsup:

Your eyes often play tricks on you especially when you are riding down the street and looking down at a handlebar or clamp at the same time...

Can you ride it straight with your hands off?

Most likely your fork tubes twisted in the triple clamps. Pretty common and easy to fix.

My first street bike had this happen, and we just stuck a bar in them and twisted them back. I know, horrible idea, but it worked. I wouldn't recommend this.

put bike on stand, loosen lower clamp bolts, straighten wheell. It should stay straight. Re-tighten bolts. ride

IMO the drz triples are not hard to bend; i bent mine and at first i thought it was my forks that were bent. only one way to know for sure; remove the front wheel and swap the forks in the triple from left to right. if they still look bent to the same side it's the triple and not the forks. good luck...

-d

Tweaked in the triple clamps?

At least 95% of the time :thumbsup:

My personal method of fixing them depends on the situation. On the trail I'll wap them up against a tree to get them mostly straight but then at home I'll go ahead and loosen up the bolts and run it straight into a wall a couple of times. Torque everthing back to specs and you'll be good to go. Use the proper torque and sequence on the front suspension

If I take my hands offf it it it stil rides straight. By tweaked in the triple clamp, you mean one side may have rotated slightly? I'll check that out when I get back home from work. Thanks everybody! :thumbsup:

If I take my hands offf it it it stil rides straight. By tweaked in the triple clamp, you mean one side may have rotated slightly? I'll check that out when I get back home from work. Thanks everybody! :thumbsup:

If it goes straight hands off you are most likely off the hook with the bent fork issue...

Let us know if your triple clamps are misaligned. If not, it's the bars or an optical illusion...

The chances that you bent your forks are slim, they are pretty darn tough. Much more likely the bars are bent or the forks twisted in the clamps.

Thanks to all of you for what afterwards seems like a pretty easy fix. The forks had twisted in the triple clamps. I loosened the bolts then tried to move the handlebars while holding the wheel. I ended up going a little too far back and forth, and had top redo them a few times. They seem slightly off, but much better. I think I'm looking at them too closely now and will just ride tomorrow to see how they feel. Thanks again. :ride::thumbsup: