Sign in to follow this  

Dual Sport Tire ?????

Looking for help selecting new tires for my DR 350se. Bought the bike a month ago with the original tires. I'll be riding 80% off road. I'm Looking at the brigestone E661 for the front, and the Kenda K760 trakmaster II for the rear. Are these tires good choices or are their some others I should look into? I live in northern Michigan and have a mixed bag of terrian. Thanks for the imput, Jerry.

I am still searching for a front I like. The trackmaster felt great as a rear tire. A lot of guys love them and report they last well. Mine fell apart after a couple hundred miles on the street but I think I got a bad tire. MT21 on the rear right now and it is a good middle of the road tire.

Been very happy with the Bridgestone E661 front and Terraflex rear.

The Tflex might be a bit of a monster for the 350, the Metz Karroo was a good rear too.

The Kenda Trackmaster rear is probably a good choice for you also.

been running the MT21 front and rear for quite some time. get about 1400 mi on a rear and maybe 2500 mi on a front. KTM 640 though and it's lava rocky around here. Tried cheap (Chen Ching, Exacta) tried expensive (IRC M5B, 606) but MT seems to last the longest, flat the least.

Michellin AC-10 is DOT Tire that looks like it was made for use in an outdoor national. Great tire for the dirt and it is DOT. Last Longer than the Kenda Trakmaster II and the front tire woorks good as well. 80-90% Dirt, 10-20% Street. Handles ok on pavement.

Take a look at the Maxxis C6006. I'm very happy with the off road performance and not too aggressive for the highway either.

Thanks for the input guys, I think I'll go with the kenda traKmaster on the rear for now. Still not sure about the front tire as of yet. That Scorpion pro looks awesome maybe I'll go that.?? Hey "TRAIL RYDER" how's the wear on the scropion pro??

Thanks for the input guys, I think I'll go with the kenda traKmaster on the rear for now. Still not sure about the front tire as of yet. That Scorpion pro looks awesome maybe I'll go that.?? Hey "TRAIL RYDER" how's the wear on the scropion pro??

Last year a rode an nasty off-chamber enduro on one that had a 1,000 miles on it, and my front end never washed out.

Although my current one has about 800 miles on it and it is shot, but I just completed the rocky Hancock 2-Day National Trail Ride on it and I was VERY HARD on my front brakes (as I kept overheating the rear ones).

tera flex makes a smaller tire now...check out interco website. 100/100-18 or somthing like that. i got it for 71 bucks delivered to my local discount tire shop. track master is good, just be easy on power on the street. with that in mind, tires will wear out faster or slower mostly depending on your riding style. cheers

Tyre choice depends so much on your riding - both your style of riding and where you ride - the on/off percentages. If you ride a fair amount offroad then try the Michelin T63 (or Deserts) or, if you ride mostly onroad but still want some stick offroad then try Metzeler's Enduro 3 (Sahara). Both of those tyres offer either an offroad bias (T63) or onroad (Enduro 3).

Remember so much is subjective, but some tyres simply suck. And when riding the blacktop a lot depends on local weather; rain, temperature etc, as well as your attitude - are you a speedfreak or cruiser? With any tyre traction is paramount. I'd rather spend more on, and replace more often, a 'sticky' tyre than use a hard, cheap piece of rubbish.

Finally, go with the tyre with which you feel safest. For without traction in acceleration, cornering and braking we, as motorcyclists, are dead.

I have a Mt21 up front and a trackmaster II on the back of my 96 Dr650, The were both put on in july, I have about 1500 km on the set, front one looks like 95% still, The back one only has about 25% though because I rode on the street and did a burnout once,

I have about 2,500 miles on MT21's front and rear. They are smoked but great tires while they lasted.

i have some dunlop 606s on xr650l and there a good choice for a 80/20. They were on when i got the bike and i have since put 1300 miles and the rear has prolly 700 more but i do ride almost all street and i ride hard so they do hold up pretty well.

I use the 606 Dunlop front/rear for medium/hard terrain and a Pirelli MT44 front/Trakmaster II rear for soft terrain.

DBM

Any reccomendations for a tire that's going to handle a mix of pavement and loose gravel roads best?

Probably 60% pavement, 39% gravel road, 1% other.

Ive got plenty of tread on the tires my XL600r came with but they are old and hard so I'm planning for replacements in the near future.

Metzeler MCE Karoo. Great DOT approved dual sport tire with a fairly aggressive tread pattern. They stick pretty well in most off road conditions, and are excellent on the street. They stick very well even on wet asphalt. Ive been through 3 sets of them on the ATK and they have not let me down.

Metzeler MCE Karoo. Great DOT approved dual sport tire with a fairly aggressive tread pattern. They stick pretty well in most off road conditions, and are excellent on the street. They stick very well even on wet asphalt. Ive been through 3 sets of them on the ATK and they have not let me down.

How well do those corner on dry pavement (ie how far over the posted numbers do they feel safe)