Sign in to follow this  

IMS 4 gal tank install sucks!

Installed my IMS 4 gal tank over the weekend. All went well until I attempted to attach the two bolts (one each side) to the radiator shroud. Four hours later I was about to give up for the day fearing I might start throwing things. I sat down to take a break and settle down. I then decided it was time to try yet another approach. I was not able to get the bolts started into the radiator shroud nuts. The bolts were at an angle to the shroud nuts and I couldn't get the threads started. I tried some suggestions made in other post on this site (use of a jack to push tank forward, another person to push on tank, etc.) but nothing worked. My solution was to back off the bolts that hold the radiators to the frame. Just pressing on the radiator to align the bolts/nuts didnt work. After backing out the radiator bolts (almost all the way) I was able to move the radiator enough to correct the angle between nut an bolt. Once the tank bolts were started I tightened the radiator bolts and then proceeded to drink a few beers to celebrate. As you might infer, I am not a happy camper. The fit of the IMS tank is pretty sad. What should have been a 30 min job took me closer to 5 hours. Once the bulb came on and I backed off the radiator bolts I was done in 15 min. The instructions that came with the tank were very little help.

Almost forgot to mention that I had to modify the brackets on the rear of the tank as well. The holes that the rubber grommets pass through were offset from one another by about 1/4 inch. I had to elongate (with a file) the hole used to attach the bracket to the tank on one side so the grommets would line up. I do not recommend the IMS 4 gal tank. Install is to much of a pain. Nothing lines up as it should.

Install is to much of a pain. Nothing lines up as it should.

Sounds like your typical IMS install :thumbsup:

I'm glad mine was already on the bike when I got it :thumbsup:

Now, if you start talking about trying to find graphics to put on it.... grrrrrrrr

It's UNpossible to find anybody who makes oversize graphics.

I'm glad mine was already on the bike when I got it :thumbsup:

Now, if you start talking about trying to find graphics to put on it.... grrrrrrrr

It's UNpossible to find anybody who makes oversize graphics.

they won't stick worth a crap for long so who cares?

It's very simple once you get the hang of it...

I use a large screw driver as a lever to push the tank forward...Screwdriver tip in the slot at the bike frame just at the rear section of the tank..Lever the tank forward and insert the two rear screws...Don't tighten them just screw them in part way...Then go to the two front screws which are giving you so much headache...They will now be almost completely lined up...Maneuver each side and insert the spacer and screw...Then tighten the two front screws down...Now return to the two rear screws and tighten those... 2 to 3 minute job... It seems difficult in the beginning but once you get the hang of it it's easy...

Mine have been on for more than a year (IMS Graphics on a IMS 4 gallon tank)...The recently start coming loose around some of the edges...Took them to the local Auto Body guy here and he used some kind of adhesive to reapply them...They're better than new now...Wish I knew what he used as the adhesive...

True :-(

My really nice RED BULL decals held on less the 2000 KM :thumbsup:

I'm thinking of trying to print one of those rear wind shield decals - the perforated kind , and see if this type of decal doesn't bubble up on the IMS tank.

It's very simple once you get the hang of it...

I use a large screw driver as a lever to push the tank forward...Screwdriver tip in the slot at the bike frame just at the rear section of the tank..Lever the tank forward and insert the two rear screws...Don't tighten them just screw them in part way...Then go to the two front screws which are giving you so much headache...They will now be almost completely lined up...Maneuver each side and insert the spacer and screw...Then tighten the two front screws down...Now return to the two rear screws and tighten those... 2 to 3 minute job... It seems difficult in the beginning but once you get the hang of it it's easy...

Sorry pal aint no way! I spent over 4 hrs trying everything I could come up with including an approach very similar to yours (pry bar in frame slot, scissor jack, etc.) The bolt ends and nuts would line up but the bolts were at way to much of an angle to allow the threads to start. From what I have read these tanks vary a lot. If you are lucky you get one that comes close, if not good luck and have fun.

If you get a bad fit try backing off the radiator bolts. This will allow you to move the radiators around quite a bit allowing you to start the threads. Better yet return the IMS and get a Clarke.

Better yet return the IMS and get a Clarke.

:thumbsup: on the Clarke. Only mod needed was cutting about 3/8" off the aluminum tab that slips under the backbone slot.

Regarding decals, I have a friend who makes custom decals for Nextel Cup race teams (for their trailers & motor coaches). He's gonna take a look at my tank and see if he can come up with a cool design, and says he knows which adhesives will last the longest on this type of plastic...will post when done!

I didnt have to cut anything off my tank for the seat to fit. I did oval the seat holes a bit but once the seat to tank union settled in after a few rides it slips on easy.

I do have a spot on the top right of the tank that just barely rubs on the radiator. I just stuck a peice of inner tube in there so it dosent make a hole.

Good luck getting the install the way you want it.

If that's what you think works best for you...Have at it...Cheers.

Better yet return the IMS and get a Clarke.