Sign in to follow this  

Triple clamp offset--what does that mean??

I've been reading about 20mm offset clamp for my 05 crf450r and have no idea what that means? Can anyone shed some light on this?

Sit on your bike and look down at the steering head and the top of the forks.

Now imagine the following:

Draw a line from left to right going right through the center of your steering head.

Draw another line from left to right going through the center of your fork caps.

These lines would be parallel to each other and the distance between them is your offset, i.e., the distance the forks are "offset" from the steering pivot, or how far in front of your steering head they are (from center to center).

Clear as mud?

:thumbsup:

thanks!! but how does the offset effect handling? or does it effect handling at all?

yea it will effect handeling, it will make it more "twtchy" when you steer. it will be a noticable diference. think about the stem on a bike. the longer the stem is the more leverage on the steering aspect, and it will steer faster.

yea it will effect handeling, it will make it more "twtchy" when you steer. the longer the stem is the more leverage on the steering aspect, and it will steer faster.

Huh ??? lol

The higher the offset the quicker steering your bike will have. The CRF's benefit from the 22mm clamps, which make the bike turn quicker, at the expense of some higher speed stability....What type of riding do you do mostly ?

yea it will effect handeling, it will make it more "twtchy" when you steer. it will be a noticable diference. think about the stem on a bike. the longer the stem is the more leverage on the steering aspect, and it will steer faster.

Stay in the TT-R forum please. :thumbsup:

i ride about 50% track and 50% desert

You should probably stick with the stock clamps (or stock offset aftermarket clamps) and invest in a steering damper for the desert stuff

Read THIS. It's written for choppers, but it covers steering geometry pretty well.

Huh ??? lol

The higher the offset the quicker steering your bike will have. The CRF's benefit from the 22mm clamps, which make the bike turn quicker, at the expense of some higher speed stability....What type of riding do you do mostly ?

more trail(with the same rake angle) = tighter turning. increasing offset decreases trail,therefore making more straightline stability. decreasing offset,with the same rake angle(making for more trail) is what makes it turn quicker. you got it backwards huffster :thumbsup:

Read THIS. It's written for choppers, but it covers steering geometry pretty well.

Thats a good link.

What I got out of that is:

Less offset results in more trail which gives: more stable at very high speeds, less stable at low speeds & larger turning radius

More offset results in less trail which gives: less stable at very high speeds, more stable at low speeds & less turning radius

Maybe "less stable at low speeds" should be replaced with "quicker turning at low speeds"? Or maybe I got it all wrong...

Thats a good link.

What I got out of that is:

Less offset results in more trail which gives: more stable at very high speeds, less stable at low speeds & larger turning radius

More offset results in less trail which gives: less stable at very high speeds, more stable at low speeds & less turning radius

Maybe "less stable at low speeds" should be replaced with "quicker turning at low speeds"? Or maybe I got it all wrong...

no, more offset = less trail = longer wheelbase=better straightline

less offset = more trail=shorter wheelbase=quicker turning

while we're at it,does changing the trail with the axle offset differ from changing it with the clamps?

no, more offset = less trail = longer wheelbase=better straightline

less offset = more trail=shorter wheelbase=quicker turning

while we're at it,does changing the trail with the axle offset differ from changing it with the clamps?

Sorry mountainman, coffee is right. Check the link.

More trail will result in a bike that wants to go straight and will remain stable at high speeds. Less trail will reduce high speed stability, but will be quicker turning. The speed doesn't really matter, though, you just don't want/need quick turning at high speed or stability at low speed.

What you've both got right is, unless the bike has a negative trail condition, increasing the fork offset will decrease trail while decreasing offset will increase trail.

As far as the axle offset, I'm not sure, but I would expect the major differences to be the same whether you change trail with offset at the axle or triple clamps. I'm sure there are subtle differences, though. :thumbsup:

i'll put money on this one,i guess Emig,RG3,and Applied are all wrong too? stock offset 25.5,my Emig clamps are 23 and i didn't put them on because they offered better high speed stability

Hey man, don't shoot me, I'm just the messenger; definitely not a guru. :ride: However, my descriptions of the effects of trail are corroborated in the following articles:

http://www.performanceoiltechnology.com/rake_and_trail.htm

"With too little or negative trail, the bike will handle with unbelievable ease at low speeds, but will be completely out of balance at high speed."

http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_0310_art/

"Too little trail, and this self-centering effect is decreased to the point of instability. Too much trail, and the effect is so great that steering becomes heavy."

http://www.ctv.es/USERS/softtech/motos/Articles/Balance/BALANCE.htm

"A bike with only a small trail value may give too much of a sense of slipperiness in the wet, and give the rider a certain degree of apprehension, whereas on the other hand, a large trail, under these conditions, may give out a feeling of security"

http://motorcyclephilippines.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6382

"The more trail, the more self-centering and -correcting action the front tire will have and the more stable the whole chassis will tend to be."

These articles all refer to the basics of trail, though. I'm sure there are lots of other factors that apply. I also think that your offset clamps changed the trail to a very minor degree. The steering performance gain probably was more a result of something else than the increased trail. But I'm just learning this stuff, too. You prompted me to do more research and I found that I was wrong about the speed issue. It seems that speed does play a role when referring to trail, like coffee said. Hopefully one of the gurus around here can explain why your steering quickened with increased trail. :thumbsup:

ya,sumthin' ain't jivin :thumbsup: what i can tell you is when i put those reduced offset clamps on the bike definately turns quicker. i guess i just need to go back to my ol'theory of ignorance is bliss :ride:

You're not alone Mcmountain....

I've changed triples three times, and despite what the books say, my results are seemingly different than what's being quoted.

Perhaps I need to revisit this issue with closer attention to how my rear suspension is setup and sagged at.

like coffee said....

I only followed the link given and repeated what I thought it said...no knowledge at all on the subject...

so whats ther dealio??? calling all suspension genius'....this has got me slightly confused,and i'm already confused enough :thumbsup: