Sign in to follow this  

Dirt wheels on SM ??????

I've got an 05 SM and Im looking at doing an easy swap from street to dirt tires. I know it can be done, but figuring out the part numbers from excel is confusing......anyone here done it?, and what will I need so that I can keep using the same size brakes front and back? All HELP is welcome including what sprockets would be a good fit, tires (DOT approved), chain ect. Thanks.

I bought a set of S wheels and a 44 tooth sprocket. I use the 44 tooth with my stock 110 link sm chain... it barely fits. The stock sm rear sprocket is 41. There is enough chain adjustment to go from 41 to 44 with the same chain. I swap my sm rotors to the s wheels when i switch. I need to get extras to cut down the swap time.

DSCN0352.jpg

I bought a set of "E" rims and tires from ebay. They bolt right up. The E rim comes with a 47 tooth srpocket, so you can order a 44 tooth and use the stock chain or buy a new 112 link chain and swap your 41 SM sprocket for the 44 tooth.

The only thing else that you may want to do is buy a new front rotor. I bought a wave rotor and put it on my SM rim, and took the OEM rotor and put it on the front E rim.

Other than that, you should be able to swap rims pretty easily. BTW, the SM is an awesome trail bike. I ride mine on dirt every Sunday morning.

Thanks guys,

So Just to be clear...if I replace the 41t sprocket on my 400SM wheel with a 44t and keep the 47t on the 400E offroad rim, I'll be able to use a 112Link chain for both without having to change chains? If so, that would be golden! :ride:

P.S. Just found a set of 400E wheels, there in the mail. :thumbsup:

I bought a set of "E" rims and tires from ebay. They bolt right up. The E rim comes with a 47 tooth srpocket, so you can order a 44 tooth and use the stock chain or buy a new 112 link chain and swap your 41 SM sprocket for the 44 tooth.

The only thing else that you may want to do is buy a new front rotor. I bought a wave rotor and put it on my SM rim, and took the OEM rotor and put it on the front E rim.

Other than that, you should be able to swap rims pretty easily. BTW, the SM is an awesome trail bike. I ride mine on dirt every Sunday morning.

What brand and part# rotor did you use. I know that SM rotors are 310mm, not standard 320mm that supermoto brake kits come with. PICS??

Yeah I've been looking for spare rotors too...

EBC does a 310mm for the SM but I am not sure it's a wavy.

Their web site utterly sucks but here it is: http://www.ebcbrakes.com/motorcycle.html

You may also want to check Galfer and Brembo, they will be more expensive but I think they make way better products than EBC.

What brand and part# rotor did you use. I know that SM rotors are 310mm, not standard 320mm that supermoto brake kits come with. PICS??

Check out the Parts Unlimited Catalog, Part Number 1710-0191, its an EBC and it comes as a full floater with gold center. You cant beat it for $99.95 list! This one is made for the SM. I took my stock SM rotor and put it on my E front Rim, then ordered the EBC and put it on my SM front rim.