Sign in to follow this  

Amphibious CRF450R

I was riding at a track in Michigan called Baja Acres and had a front tire blow. I lost control and ended up jumping into a 5-6 foot deep pond. The bike and I both went all the way under water and the bike ended up setting on the bottom for about 5 minutes. It took me a couple of hours of work but I got the bike back running with no problems, I was impressed that the bike survived without issues. FYI - I drained the oil and gas, pulled the plug poured in several ounces of oil and kicked the bike over by hand several times. I pulled the exhaust and carb and flipped the bike over and kicked it over by hand a few more times. I filled the oil and kicked the bike over by hand several times then drained the fresh oil out. I filled the oil again cleaned the carb and re-assembled everything and it started right up. I ran the bike for a couple of minutes, changed the oil. The oil was still a little milkey so I changed it again and everything looked good. The only thing I still need to do is repack the muffler, I can't imagine the water did it any good.

I have a couple of hours of ride time on it since swimming lessons, the packing is dry but I presume shot.

Did you just change the oil or did you change the filter as well? That might be where some water is still caught.Repack your muffler, the packing is shot. You might want to clean the air filter and take apart and lube your carb.

I did replace the oil and air filter and cleaned the carb with carb cleaner. What would I lube the carb with? I always assumed lubing a carb would be pointless in that the gas would remove it nearly immediatly.