Sign in to follow this  

XR 250 Exhaust Compatibility

Will a complete exhaust system from a 97 and up XR250R fit a 91 XR250L? Also, has anyone had any first hand experience with upgrading an exhaust system including the header, on a 91 or similar year XR. I'd like to know what's a decent aftermarket setup if needed.

Thanks

I'm in the process of upgrading my '92 XR250L right now.

I'm not sure exactly what the differences are, but '96 and later exhausts will not fit. The options for pre-'96 after-market exhausts seem to be dwindling.

Full systems (with header) are available from Big Gun and XR's Only. I'm going with a used XR250R Header and the XR's Only silencer. XR's Only is actually kind of low on pre-'96 XR250 exhaust components and they didn't seem very enthusiastic about ordering new runs from their manufacturer.... so inquire about availability if you choose to order anything from them.

Sorry, no first hand experience yet. Give me another week.

Hi Guys-I am anxiously reading this thread because I am ready to upgrade my XR250L. I have done tons of research, but still I am hesitant to pull the trigger on my exhaust / jetting / airbox mods until I read some more data from the guys who haunt this forum.

When I do finally pull the trigger, I will post my results here as well...

:thumbsup:

By the way txrheel, we have the same bike. I am really going to pay attention to your posts!!!

Dr Audio...

Give me a couple of weeks and I'll post my progress/results.

Sweet I can't wait too! I did the 280 Kit on my L but I left the stock header with a cobra pipe because I wanted to see the options before and spent some money. I have the XRR header just waitin for the rear can.

Taylor,

I was reading your posts in the other threads about your exhaust issues. Sounds like you got it to work. I am looking for some old XR parts now. Kind of hard to find, though. And I am still unclear as to what is and is NOT compatible.

I am still interested in all your mods. Please keep us XR250L fans up-to-date on what you are doing.

Thanks!

Mike

Hey Red Rider, do you think that 280 mod was a good thing for your bike?

What is your opinion of the cost / performance ratio?

What can we do for our exhaust issues? I have read about some mods to the existing L muffler that require drilling holes...

Just need a bit more oomph when you slam the throttle!

:thumbsup:

Later,

Mike

First step, try the pumper mod. This will increase the spray from the L pumper.

Next step, 44 tooth rear sprocket, 1 down in front. This makes for almost identical gearing as the 250R. The L has a higher over all ratio in 4th, 5th and 6th. I top out at 65ish with that gearing.

Next step, switch to a mikuni pumper or the R carb. They are much more tuneable and a better set up. Try these mods and see if they have enough oomph.

I never totaled up the whole shebang with the 280, but I think it isn't worth it unless you plan on keeping the bike for another 3-4 years. If you do plan on keeping it there isn't a better option for performance vs cost. Gordon mods will only take a bike so far. My plan is to keep it through college and see what I want from there. Unless Honda or WA state gets there act together I will eventually have a TE250, 450 or 510.

In my mind the 280 is great, it doesn't sacrifice the reliability of the engine but it makes it a much better bike. I am not done with mine, I still need to switch to the R header and pipe and get an R cam. Power is increased over the whole RPM range, but it isn't like going from a 250 to a 400. Still I keep up with my friends XR300R just fine.

Thanks for the info. I will post my results as soon as I scrape together the $$$ for some mods.