valves need help

hello all i reshimed my valves about 35 hours ago and iv been checking the clearence and they have been fine until 6 hours of riding the left intake went from 0.12 to 0.07mm why would they get that tight so fast? what would you lot recommend does it look like i need new valves soon? thanx ?

would i get away with just reshimin it for the time? i rang procircuit by me and he said if i need new valves i probly wont need the seats re cut unless the valves have bad damage on them does this sound right my bike has only done about 40 hours. thanx carl

You could re shim it but it won't last a day. The hard outer coating of the valve has worn through and you are wearing the softer metal under neath. The valve will keep marching up into the head.

Good time to get the valves done and the seats inspected.

If your valves are worn at all, you should do a seat cut period! when the valve wears so does the seat (every time), the new valves will not seat correctly on the worn seats and the worn seat will cause the new valve to wear out very fast. You need to also look at the guides, if they are worn also, the valves will wear out fast. With all the related costs and parts involved when building your head it doesn't make any sense to short cut anything. Bite the bullet and do it right.

do you always need the seats recut? so when i get new valves what do i need to buy to fit them myself and what will i need alltogether. its only my left intake thats gone will i need all 4 valves tho? thanx

Carl,

I haven't needed to do any valve work yet on the Kaw's but on last years Honda I replaced the intake valves twice while the exhaust valves never needed reshimmed. I replaced the intake valves myself but I had someone (good) recut the valve seats for $20 and if you don't want to put them in yourself there are companies that will recut the seats and install the new valve (that you send them) for around $60. Always do both intake at the same time as when one goes the other is not far behind.