Sign in to follow this  

Is this bike considered a collector's item?

It's my friend's 1983 CR 250. Pretty much stock except for the pipe and some other small stuff. I rode it the other day. New top end transmission shifts great, new clutch, etc, It has the right side drive, which I was told this was the only year for it and thats what makes it so special. Is it? He keeps calling it the "Hurricane Hannah" bike. Thanks for your help.

If it is worth anything over it's intrinsic value, what do you think it's worth?

Pics:

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n145/Texasspeedracer/CR250R_2.jpg

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n145/Texasspeedracer/CR250R.jpg

TSR :thumbsup:

i think from 80 to 84 the cr 250s were virtually the same- left hand kick right hand drive. dont think the seat is stock. looks like its in pretty good shape, it really depends on who your selling it to. To the right person it could be worth tons, to me i would pay maybe 500 for it IF i was in a spending mood and was running low on bikes...

Thanks for the heads up.

Nice quote under your signature..."I could be at home right now, drinking this killer egg nog my brother makes with lighter fluid."

For the dude who used to ride one back when he was a kid and is aching to reclaim his youth, priceless.

For everybody else, unfortunately not much.

All you need to do is find that dude. Ebay is probably the ticket. Good luck!

Hurricane Bob Hannah did ride a works version of that machine. That isn't a stock seat cover (so what). You might get $500-700 for it.

It's my friend's 1983 CR 250. Pretty much stock except for the pipe and some other small stuff. I rode it the other day. New top end transmission shifts great, new clutch, etc, It has the right side drive, which I was told this was the only year for it and thats what makes it so special. Is it? He keeps calling it the "Hurricane Hannah" bike. Thanks for your help.

If it is worth anything over it's intrinsic value, what do you think it's worth?

Pics:

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n145/Texasspeedracer/CR250R_2.jpg

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n145/Texasspeedracer/CR250R.jpg

Bob Hannah rode for Yamaha.....Not Honda....YZ250

1981 was the first year of the water cooled and single shock on the CR250. If I recall, yes Hannah did race for Honda at the end of his career. :ride: Also those still make a pretty decent trail bike, good carver, fast straights were not it's greatest asset. :thumbsup: Here's some reviews on the 1983 CR250

One man's trash is another man's treasure.

Is it old enough for the Vintage class? Maybe it needs a bit more aging.

I like the old silver vintage Elsinores.

I second the find the guy "who had one as a kid". My very first offroad bike was an 81 suzuki PE175 that I bought for 100 dollars. Ran like a top. I rode the crap out of that bike. After beating on it for about a year I ended up selling it to a guy who had one as kid, but lost it in a garage fire. Got around $650 for it. That bike was a beast, I kind of miss it.

Are you looking to sell this bike. I had one as a kid and have thought about getting one to restore. Give us some more details if your interested in selling.

There is an AHRMA class for racing this vintage of bike. If a bike has disc brakes, your kinda screwed over.

According to the rules, this bike should be legal for the ultima class. I may pick one up and start running some vintage races, after spending a year to restore.

12.3.3 Ultima 250: For certain 126-250cc motorcycles produced within the guidelines of the Ultima Class specifications. Eligible machines, and exceptions, include but are not limited to:

1982 and later Kawasaki 250s are prohibited.

1982-84 Maicos and/or M-Star, air-cooled drum brake only.

1983 Hondas and Suzukis are allowed.

Honda XR200, all years.

Yamaha 250s, up to the 1982-84 YZ250 with the YPVS system, are allowed. (Note: these are the only eligible motorcycles allowed to use a power-valve mechanism.)

1981 was the first year of the water cooled and single shock on the CR250. If I recall, yes Hannah did race for Honda at the end of his career. :confused:Also those still make a pretty decent trail bike, good carver, fast straights were not it's greatest asset. :lol: Here's some reviews on the 1983 CR250

Thats the understatement of the Century. That bike would turn under anything on the track, still might, but it'll shake its head like a rabid dog under hard braking.

I had one, absolutely loved that motorcycle. I bought it new, 2-28-1982. Broke my knee 03-02-1982. Then broke the cast riding it. I paid $1,849.00 for it out the door at Buena Park Honda.

That double leading shoe front brake worked amazing until you got it wet one time. I dont know what happened to it, but even replacing the pads made no difference, it was never the same.

Man, that pic brings back a bunch of memories... gave me goose bumps!

Thats the understatement of the Century. That bike would turn under anything on the track, still might, but it'll shake its head like a rabid dog under hard braking.

I had one, absolutely loved that motorcycle. I bought it new, 2-28-1983. Broke my knee 03-02-1983. Then broke the cast riding it. I paid $1,849.00 for it out the door at Buena Park Honda.

That double leading shoe front brake worked amazing until you got it wet one time. I dont know what happened to it, but even replacing the pads made no difference, it was never the same.

Man, that pic brings back a bunch of memories... gave me goose bumps!

You and me both buddy, here is an old pic of me on an 83 CR125. I wouldn't mind finding one to restore and play around on. My 16 year old would like to ride one also, just to see what the "antique" bikes were like.

Doesn't look like this guy is around anymore. Awwell, he's missing his chance at a couple of the guys the earlier poster told him the bike would have sentimental value with.

1983CR1252.jpg

Yup, AHRMA legal ~ Ultima class. Could also be ridden in their Cross Country events. Value will only be what someone is will to pay. Elsinore Red Riders have their own web site, check there if you really want to sell.

Bob Hannah: He raced for Yamaha until about '81 (?) then switched to Honda and then finally raced for Suzuki from 'about '87 to '89 or '90. :lol:

You and me both buddy, here is an old pic of me on an 83 CR125. I wouldn't mind finding one to restore and play around on. My 16 year old would like to ride one also, just to see what the "antique" bikes were like.

Doesn't look like this guy is around anymore. Awwell, he's missing his chance at a couple of the guys the earlier poster told him the bike would have sentimental value with.

1983CR1252.jpg

I rode the 81 thru 86 CR125's...man I loved those bikes...

A collector's item ?????

Dam, guess maybe I should stop thrashing my old '82 CR125 around the woods?? Hard to see it 'cause my kid (yeah, karterron, that be Ted) is in the way on his CRF200R, but that's me on my old '82:

IMG_2135.jpg

That's is one bike that IMHO, Honda nailed the chassis geometry on..handles beautifully!!!

Charlie, you guys will have to come over and ride with Chris and me this summer. Chris is getting off the 250f and going back to a 250 two stroke.

That's is one bike that IMHO, Honda nailed the chassis geometry on..handles beautifully!!!

If you like the '82 - wait til you ride an '83. :lol: