Sign in to follow this  

Swap ring gear on clutch basket???

I purchased a complete clutch and the ring gear is not on the clutch basket. I looked through the service manual and did not find any information on how to swap it from the old clutch basket to the new one. Can I do this myself or should I bring it into a dealer :thumbsup: ? I didn't see any parts for doing this at any of the local parts retailers (Dennis Kirk or Bob's Cycle).

Thanks for your replies!

You have to center punch and drill the gear rivets to get it off the old basket then the new basket will have bolts. Make sure to red lock tite the bolts when you install it on the new basket.

That's the thing, the clutch I bought from a TT member here took the ring gear off the take-off clutch and now I need to transfer my ring gear to the clutch I received. I called a couple different Honda dealers and they didn't have any suggestions. I know that the Hinson clutch baskets come with screws to assemble the ring gear to the new basket. I just need the rivets or screws to assemble my existing ring gear to the new (take-off) clutch basket.

Try contacting the manufacture. If that does not work find a place that can order specialty fasteners. Make sure the are a grade 8 or higher. Good luck. :thumbsup:

This can be done with a bit of work. The stock rivets are about 5 mm in diameter, so the holes can be tapped M6x1 easily. You can get bolts from Rekluse or Wiseco and grind them a few mm's shorter. Lastly, you'll need to drill your retaining plate holes 6mm (or 1/4"). Now do as previously mentioned: red locktight and peen the end of each screw.

Hope this helps :thumbsup:

I didn't find anything on the Rekluse or Wiesco websites. Anyone know how much room I will have for a screw head on the back side of the basket?

It sounds like it would be easier to just buy an aftermarket basket and ebay the stock one you have. Let someone else deal with it. :thumbsup:

Return it to the guy you bought it from if he did not disclose this information during the sale... that is kind of BS in my opinion....

I have seen people trying to sell stock baskets with the ring gears removed on E-bay from time to time and it bothers me everytime I see it....

What brand of basket did you buy,,,,stock?

If you bought a stock basket, you can get bucking rivets and install them with an air hammer and steel backer. Then grind off the excess. Usually you can get bucking rivets at fastener stores and airplane supply places.

If you bought a hinson, go to teh hardware store and get flat head counter sink allen bolts, then red loctite them in and punch the end of the bolt that sticks thru to mash teh threads so it will not back out on you