Sign in to follow this  

Bel-Ray 0W-40

I accidently bought this bel-ray 0w-40 for my 03 DRZ 400. Is it ok to use or should i take it back? It is made for motorcycles and says some jargon about being great for wet clutches and such. I called the place where i got it and they said it is the 10w-40 replacement, but the website still shows them making a 10w.

The "0" or "10" or whatever the 1st number is just says how cold it will flow. It is not really important unless you are using it in a 4 stroke snow cat or something. What you care about is the 40 wt which is what you want. As long as it is synthetic oil, 0W40 is fine. The problem comes with non-synthetic oil that has to uses too much viscosity index improver to get a very wide range. For example: Shell sells 15W40 standard oil and 5W40 synthetic for the same application. They only get the 5-40 range with synthetic which naturally needs less viscosity index improver.

The Belray 0W-40 is the best synthetic you can buy, in my opinion. But it's expensive as hell. I used to run it exclusively, in my Yamaha Vmax. That beast had no rev-limiter, and I never had an engine issue ever, even after constant dips into the red.

:thumbsup:

While I have not tried the 0W belray, I have used belray products in the past with good luck. I wouldn't have any issues using them.