Sign in to follow this  

Help with Engine Bogs

I have a "new to me" '05 450x. The engine idles fine but has a terrible bog when you grab a handful of throttle. This occurs sitting still (which I believe to be normal) but more importantly occurs while riding. The bike is completely stock. It ran fine up until the previous owner replaced the throttle with a new one. He said as soon as he did that, the hesitation started and said there may be a problem with the throttle cables. The cables appear to work properly. To this point, I've put a new plug in. cleaned the air cleaner, completely diassembled the carb and cleaned and blew air thru all the passages. I tried raising the needle jet. Checked the valves and valve timing. When I twist the throttle, looking into the carb I can see the accelerator pump squirting fuel into the carb. I don't know what else to check? Could the throttle cables be out of adjustment so bad to throw the Throttle Position Sensor out of whack? Could a bad TPS cause this? The thing I keep going back to is that it ran fine until the throttle was replaced. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sounds like a lean condition. You said completely stock, does that include the jetting and air screw adjustment? These bikes come super lean from Honda to pass smog. Get a J.D. kit, open up the air box and follow the directions. You won't have any more trouble.

its a condition, Its not a lean but a rich. Its normal with fcr carbs. An easy fix is the boyesen accelerator pump cover. its a fix but not the correct fix. Jd jetting has some sort of ap mod also. Do a search and read the 450r forum

I forgot to add, hesitation improves when I leave the choke on after warm up. This leads me to believe it's a lean condition....but what do I know. As far as jetting, it's all stock but I did adjust the low speed adjuster. It's about 1 1/4 turns out. I'd have no problem rejetting but like I said previously, the bike ran fine prior to changing the throttle. I don't really see the need for it since it was running fine. I certainly respect everyones help though. Could the throttle cable adjustment cause this? Thanks for your time!

its a condition, Its not a lean but a rich. Its normal with fcr carbs. An easy fix is the boyesen accelerator pump cover. its a fix but not the correct fix. Jd jetting has some sort of ap mod also. Do a search and read the 450r forum

Uh, no, don't think so.

Leany weany chilli beany is more like it.

if it gets better with the choke on then it is most certainly lean. rejet that thing and be happy.

Sorry to be such a hard head.....but it ran fine before the throttle was replaced. I'd hate to rejet if that's masking the original problem. I'll research the JD jetkit however. Thanks for the help

Did you actually get to hear the bike run prior to the throttle cables being replaced ?

Like others have said, the bike comes very lean from the factory. An off idle bog on acceleration is a classic sign of a lean condition. Get the JD Jetting kit.

Yes I did, in fact I road the bike prior to the throttle change. It never faultured. I'm now told the throttle was replaced with one from an '06 model. But I wouldn't think that would be a problem. I'm wondering if the throttle cable\throttle position sensor could be out of adjustment causing the ignition timing to cause a problem. But then I would think it would spit and sputter. It just falls on it's face. :thumbsup: