Sign in to follow this  

Holding up with my knees...legs?

I just want to clarify something. Everybody is talking about holding up with the knees. But my knees a couple of inches over the seat when I'm standing so how can i hold with my knees if they are not touching the bike? :thumbsup: The only time I can really hold with my knees is in corners and while accelerating really hard (bending forward). Since I have a CRF I manage to stick them in the holes of the shrouds. But the rest of the time my knees aren't even touching the bike, so I hold up with my ankles and the inside of my legs. In fact, I just hook my ankles up and squeeze really hard with whatever part of my legs are touching the bike. Is that what you consider "holding with the knees"? Even if the knees aren't actually used? :ride:

Stand on your pegs with your toes alittle more, but not fully. Like stand about halfway between your arch and toes on the pegs.

Bend your knees alittle more so you are in a better attack position. Also buy a taller seat will help ALOT with corners so it is easier to get up and stay on the tank and gragbing with your knees.

But really the only place I grip with my ankle is in the air, so I can either rest the rest of my body yet still stay on the bike and so I can use my ankles as a pivot point to bring the front end down.

you are correct, us tall people's knees do not touch when standing so you grip with your legs but when riding everyone thinks grip the knees and then you do it. When sitting you can still grip with your knees.

Watch Windham closely. His knees actually touch above the seat when he's riding. Us tall guys have to work a little more because of this. I tend to hold more with my ankles and lower legs than I do by squeezing my knees.

i am 6ft too.

u should be standing on the ball of your feet like 123 was sayin right behind your toes is consided the ball of your foot. and then u need to be in the attack position. if you have ur chin over you bars in a good attack position ur boody will naturaly be further forward then keep your knees bent a lil and u acually want to be gripping the back of your tank with your knees/legs not the seat. if u are gripping only the seaat with ur knees u are to far back on the bike.

i am 6ft too.

u should be standing on the ball of your feet like 123 was sayin right behind your toes is consided the ball of your foot. and then u need to be in the attack position. if you have ur chin over you bars in a good attack position ur boody will naturaly be further forward then keep your knees bent a lil and u acually want to be gripping the back of your tank with your knees/legs not the seat. if u are gripping only the seaat with ur knees u are to far back on the bike.

Yes, exactly what I do, I'm 6ft aswell and I grip with my knees.

eldus

I'm actually 5'9''. Yes I can grip with my knees when in the attack position, but not in braking bumps and when jumping. I'm still a beginner so I'm not always on the gas and attacking. :thumbsup:

I find it vey harsh on myknees, back body to hold the bike because of all the vibration of the bike motor. Any tip or should i just stop whinning?

I find it vey harsh on myknees, back body to hold the bike because of all the vibration of the bike motor. Any tip or should i just stop whinning?

Knee pads. The twin spar aluminum frames can make it hell on your knees. Pad up and you'll feel better. :thumbsup:

Knee pads. The twin spar aluminum frames can make it hell on your knees. Pad up and you'll feel better. :thumbsup:

Better yet, knee braces so you don't have to have knee surgery like what I might have to have within acouple years if my knee keep popping out.

But now I wear braces and haven't had any problems since when riding.

i am 6ft too.

I have broken my ankles from riding on the balls of my feet when I cased it pretty hard and my heals slammed the jump :thumbsup:

Watch Windham closely. His knees actually touch above the seat when he's riding. Us tall guys have to work a little more because of this. I tend to hold more with my ankles and lower legs than I do by squeezing my knees.

Isnt that offset somewhat by the extra leverage you taller guys have?

I'm 6'2''. I squeeze with my knees while standing in the attack position and my knees are still slightly above my seat (even though it is a tall seat). I think that Semics is right in saying that from the ankle to the knee should normally be lined up (perpendicular to the ground). I still think of it as squeezing with the knees (with the toes pointed slightly out) even though it is my lower legs that is actually in contact with the bike. My knees do squeeze the tank if I am accelerating aggressively and have my body leaned way forward.

Would it be beneficial to get some of those "gripper" adhesive pads to install on your bike or maybe a gripper seat?

I have stomp grip and it works good.

To the guy that said: "I think that Semics is right in saying that from the ankle to the knee should normally be lined up (perpendicular to the ground)" so is he saying that you should have your lower leg basically have like a 90 degree angle with the ground?