Sign in to follow this  

N00b in San Diego needs advice on where to ride

I'm 35 and getting a dirt bike. I used to ride on my grandparent's farm in IL from age 8 to 16, and I had a sport bike (CBR 600) in college, but it's been more than 10 years since I've ridden regularly.

What are some good destinations near SD that will be good for me to get reacclimated with riding? I am more interested in developing my technical skills over varied terrain/single track, but don't want to get in over my head at first.

Would Arrowhead/crab flats be a good place to start?

Thanks in advance for advice.

Big Bear/Arrowhead is probably about the closest now that Corral Canyon has burned and is closed until further notice. Maybe McCain Valley though I haven't ridden out there in years and couldn't tell you much about it. Still a bit hot to be heading out to the desert.

Would Arrowhead/crab flats be a good place to start?

Thanks in advance for advice.

Pinnacles would be better for you some of the single track out of crab flats would be more than you want if you are just getting back in to riding after 10+ years take it easy and build up to it

I'm just getting back into riding as well. I've been avoiding McCain Valley because of the heat. Last two Sundays, I've been going up to Wildomar, above Lake Elsinore. It's small, but challenging for me because I suck. It's 90-miles from SD.

If you are just starting and live in SD county, you might just want to head up to Bear Valley Road, south of the 8 at the Pine Valley offramp. Close, fun, and challenging enough to get to acclimated back to riding after being off for some time. I think it is about 9 miles to the end.

Once it cools down, then head out to Plaster City. End of September. I would save the gas money you would spend going to Arrowhead for Desert Season.

Don't forget the Forest Permit (you can get it at the gas station in Pine Valley or at most Big 5 Sporting Goods). They are ticketing now.

If you are just starting and live in SD county, you might just want to head up to Bear Valley Road, south of the 8 at the Pine Valley offramp. Close, fun, and challenging enough to get to acclimated back to riding after being off for some time. I think it is about 9 miles to the end.

Did they close the road too? I would hate to drive out there to look at the closed signs.

Its open to the top of Kernan Cycle trail. Wish that was still open, that was the only reason I would park and ride from Pine Valley.