Sign in to follow this  

base gasket install help?

hey all,

i've got my kibble white mess taken care of with some new vavles and now it's time to put it all back together. i've never pulled of a cylinder before and was wondering what's the best tool for compressing the rings on a DRZ? some kind of pipe clamp? is there anything i can pick up at homo depot or maybe somewhere online?

any other tips for putting it all back together?

thx!

Honestly I have never used a ring compressor. Just slip the cylinder on one ring at a time using your hand to compress the ring. I feel that this is a pretty safe route if you do it right

I have just done mine as well, a 94-mm big bore.

I just slipped the piston into the bore using my fingers, gently 1 ring at a time.

I did this on the bench, and then just lowered the cylinder into place, pushing the wrist pin through and fitting the last clip as I did so.

Neil. :thumbsup::ride::applause:

just like what neil said.do it on the bench if you can.its much easier to do it out of the bike than with the engine in the bike.

With the big bore pistons, accepted practice is to do like Neil. With std pistons, just slip the cylinder over the piston. There is a large chamfer on the cylinder to help you. It is not a problem.

If you want to do it with the piston still attatched to the con rod get two pieces of 2x1 wood and put them either side under the piston skirt on top of the crankcase - it stops the piston moving about as you lower the cylinder.

just like what neil said.do it on the bench if you can.its much easier to do it out of the bike than with the engine in the bike.

You got me wrong there, I installed the piston in the bore, and then the cylinder on to the engine.

The engine was still in the bike.

The two bits of wood to support the piston is an old and very usefull method that works well.

Neil. :thumbsup::ride::applause:

I've never done one on my drz but have done several to my Yamahas. I usually install my piston in the cylinder while it is disconnected from the rod. I put one clip in the piston. I then position the piston and the cylinder together over the rod. Then install the pin and the second retainer. Helps to have a second set of hands but you can do it by yourself. Never have used a ring compressor.

hey all, thanks for the tips. i had heard the wood trick and was going to try that.

i'm stoked it can be done with no ring compressor. i had heard there is a type of pipe clamp that can work, but i didn't find one at the local hardware store. i'll give it a go one at a time and see how i fair. i can't wait to try out these new valves and get back on my friggin' drz!

No use for a ring compressor, on the drz at least :thumbsup:

Leave the piston on the rod and get a friend to help hold the rings and piston while you lower the cylinder.... You can definately do it yourself but an extra set of hands will certainly make it easier. Like the rest have said , no tools are necessary :thumbsup: