Sign in to follow this  

05 CRF450R Valve Problems

Does anyone else have to replace the valves every three months? Are there any solutions?

No. Give us some background info. If your seats are in bad shape and you replace the valves they are going to go fast, other than that, 3 months is way to often to replace valves!

Nope, had my '05 since new, valves are in spec. I beat the hell out of it once or twice a week.

How high do you rev your engine? You're most likely due to have your valve seats either recut or replaced. Worn valve seats will wear out your valves quickly.

Just put a new pistion in my 05 - I've had it for a year and its on the track every weekend I'm not rain/snowed out - plus I've got 6 HS's and 30 moto's on the valve train with no movement, no leaks, no reason to mess with anything at this point.

I'm a short shifter and not hard on the motor as far as that goes. I also tweak jetting to fine tune for air temp etc, religous oil/air filter changes and I'm careful about warming the bike up without bouncing it off the rev limiter.

I also have two 04 CRF250Rs and those bikes are also doing well with 1 intake adjustment for each in almost 3 years of trail, some track and a handfull of motos on those bikes.

I really can't complain and didn't see any better valve train reliability from 4 years of YZ250F, YZ426F and two years of YZ450F riding.

I have an 05 450R I bought new last Feb, it has about 80 hours on it. I checked the valves last weekend they are still perfect.

My advice as others have also stated, keep off the rev limiter. Also, I run the stock filter with Bel Ray filter oil. Oil changes every 5 hours.

Sorry you are having these recurring valvle issues.