What is the demand for an '03 XR400?

I have a bone stock 03 XR400 that isn't getting ridden. I bought it about 6 months ago for my wife to ride. She has ridden it about 100 miles (maybe). She now prefers to ride my 05 CRF250R. She says it has more spunk. I haven't let her on the KX250 yet.

I have a neighbor who is an XR junkie, but he has a 200, 250, and a 400 already. I had him look at it the other day to give me his opinion on it. He told me that he drove from Central Arkansas to Atlanta, GA to get his and it wasn't in as good of shape as mine. He said that people looking for this type of bike know what they are looking at and know what they want, so a long drive to get what they want really isn't a big deal. Just another rode trip for the guys.

I really hate to get rid of the "tractor" as we call it, but it really is too good of a bike to let sit around. My neighbor gave it a 10 out of a possible 10. I'm not sure it is quite that nice, but it really is a good bike that hasn't been abused at all. It has a small tear in the seat cover(my wifes $20 Wal-mart hiking/riding boots). The rear fender is tweaked a little due to the previous owners tumble that bent the bolt-on subframe a bit.

Does anyone have any any ideas or suggestions on the demand or value of a bike like this.

Thanks for your thoughts.

I paid $2500 for my 03 this spring and thought I was getting a helluva deal. I'd say you could probably get close to $3000 if you tried.

Not sure what the demand is for these bikes. I got mine from a good friend who had already said I get dibs on it when he goes to sell it, so I had no competition. I'd imagine in the right area you'd be able to find a buyer pretty quick though.

i just got my 2003 xr400r thats a bit scratched up but in good condition, tires are original about half warn for $3900.00cdn, all stock. There hard to come by up here in toronto canada. i drove 3.5hrs to pick it up and i had it put on hold the same day it went on sale. i found 3 xr400's this month and they didnt last a day before they sold.

Sorry! I started to state that I didn't want to give it away, but I figured the TT members were smart enough to know that. My bad.

thanksanyway pabloxr

P.M. me with what you need for it as I have a buddy in the market for one at a fair price.

For some reason, right now, there are around 9 XR 400 listed on eBay alone. I bought my 1999 for 2100 a few months ago. It's in very good shape, with FMF exhaust and header, K&N filter, and that's about it.

If you do decide to sell your bike, I would suggest not going to eBay, I'm seeing 400s go for between 1800, and 3K, depending. The newer bikes go for more obviously, but with the number of bikes up for auction right now, I think they'll go fairly cheap. I just watched one go for 1600, and it had the mikuni pumper and an ALoop kit on it. It also had the big bore kit on it, and I think those will bring value down a bit.

Bone stock...low hours, excellent condition? Would start at $3,750 here in AZ. I would sell it for much less if I knew it were going to an XR enthusiast, however. XR4s are in very high demand and should be as they are the undisputed most reliable dirt bikes ever made and a shit load of fun to ride!

For some reason, right now, there are around 9 XR 400 listed on eBay alone. I bought my 1999 for 2100 a few months ago. It's in very good shape, with FMF exhaust and header, K&N filter, and that's about it.

If you do decide to sell your bike, I would suggest not going to eBay, I'm seeing 400s go for between 1800, and 3K, depending. The newer bikes go for more obviously, but with the number of bikes up for auction right now, I think they'll go fairly cheap. I just watched one go for 1600, and it had the mikuni pumper and an ALoop kit on it. It also had the big bore kit on it, and I think those will bring value down a bit.

More risk buying something on Ebay. I hear the sob stories all the time. I would sell it here on TT and hold out for a fair price. The cheapo 440 kits can devaluate an XR but quality ones put together by someone who knows what they are doing actually adds to value IME. :ride:?

Hey Xrrider

I just got my xr4 a month or two ago and it was brutal trying to find one.

I picked up the tri-adsm newspapers's autotrader the day that they came out and they had already sold, but i got lucky with this one guy and got a great 2001 for 3,600 CAD. baha kit and a speedometer computer too. plus a tank full of racing gas.. smelled great at first,

I got mine last night!! Here's how it went. I was selling my Jeep CJ7 to a guy and after an hour of debate, he bought it for $2300

I told him the money was going to my wife to start her business. He said, "too bad, I have a 2003 XR400 I would trade you even for it. An hour later it was in my garage (true story!!)

Sorry honey....

ps, rode it today, LOVE IT!!!

I agree, the XR400 is a blast to ride. We just have too many irons in the fire right now. We have 5 motorcycles, a 4 wheeler and a 5th wheel camper. On top of that, my son has started MX racing, which is every weekend and a couple of those were double duty(morning race and night race). That leaves us little time to do anything else.

I just hate to see it sit. I guess that I need to pursue selling it, just hate to go through the motions(trouble). I've had items for sale in the past and someone would call and tell me that they will be here at noon on Sat to look at it. Well, at 4:30, I am still waiting for them to show up. I just wish people would do what they say they are going to do. I guess it's probably just me getting old, but right is right and wrong is wrong.

Sorry to ramble, must be the age thing.

If anyone should be interested or know someone interested, let me know.

Thanks everyone, this is one great site. There is more knowledge here than one person can comprehend.

I'm not sure how the price would differ from state-to-state. I had been looking for several months to find the right one. For me, it had to have a Baja Kit and a plate. I bought my 2003 XR400 about 4 months ago here in California. Mine was similiar to what you described in that it was ridden 4 times in 4 years. This thing was spotless! The only mods it had were a White Brothers exhaust, Renthal bars, Moose fender bag and IMS oversize footpegs. The guy threw in a new helmet and aluminum stand as well. I paid $3200 (which is what my insurance gave me for my stolen XR650R). It was a 190 mile round trip to get it. I love this bike.

You may want to consider letting it sit. I started riding a quad about 3 yrs. back and the XR250 sit. Once the water holes dried up the quad got a little boring (only 250EX). One day cleaning out the garage a guy drove by and asked if I wanted to sell, I hadn't even considered, then a week later somebody else asked, then I started to think about it, then it sit a little more and I decided to take it out.

Well, glad I didn't sell. Now the quad sits most of the time (depends on where I ride). If it has a place to sit may want to keep it, may be hard to find later, unless Honda brings those newer Enduro version and Supermoto versions to U.S. I like the looks of that 250 SM. Then I'll have to figure out what to sell.