Sign in to follow this  

Clutch drag.. normal?

Hey,

I was told this was normal with suzukis, but I don't really believe it. My bike (DR350) wants to walk away if I put it in 1st with the clutch in at a stop. Applying the brakes or holding the bike with my feet works to keep it from getting away, but it often stalls out due to this unless I give it a little bit of throttle.

Im not too sure how bike clutches work other than the fact that they're a wet design, but if it were a car I'd say that the pressure plate is going. Is this a simple lever adjustment that could solve this, or is it in fact normal?

Look on the ride side engine case where the clutch cable meets the engine , there is an adjuster down there which has larger adjustments over the handle bar adjuster, on mine the vibes from the engine can work this loose causing drag , give it a check.

Mine does it aswell, though not as servere. I find it extremely difficult to push the bike around when cold if it's in gear and I just grap the clutch.

Just make sure you have about 5-10mm lever play. As long as there is play it's not too tight.

Dylan

That was the problem with my bike. When I had it bored out I made sure to replace those clutch parts as well. No more creeping. On the kickstart only versions that drag in the clutch makes the bike harder to start as well. Some of the energy from the kick gets wasted because it goes into making the bike try to roll.

Mine doesn't creep. If fact if I pull in the clutch and wait too long before shifting from neutral into first it won't go in and I need to just ease the clutch out to the friction point to get it to snick into gear.

Sounds like you have some warped plates in the clutch pack. Warped plates will flex flat under pressure and then turn back to potatoe chips when you pull the lever and still cause some drag.

2 Wheels, thanks for the link. Looks like a lot of good info!!

Excellent replies and suggestions so far. I didnt have any time to look at the bike today (just got home from work, ugh 18 hour day) but I'll post up if/when I fix it.