Sign in to follow this  

05 wr250f damper rod disassembly

I just bought a 05 wr250f which had been lowered by 2 in. I was able to raise the rear up with no problem, with help from this great website and the manual. The front forks are more of a challenge.The springs that were in the forks had 2 in. cut off.I ordered and tried to install new Race-Tech springs but found preload at about 60 mm.when it should be at about 15 mm.I called Race-Tech and they said there has probably been a spacer installed in the damper rod cartridge.I have made the tools and removed the cartridge, again with help from this website,but can find no information on how to disassemble the cartridge correctly.Any info and/or pics would be greatly appreciated. :thumbsup:

Look closely at the upper portion of the cartridge. You should see where the peens have allready been drilled/milled. If they have been drilled, then just knock the spring seat off and clamp the top of the cartridge in the vise at the cylinder valve "ears" where the seat was pressed onto. Using a torch heat the area where the peens were located, go around the cartridge evenly. About one min or so should relaese the loctite. Stick a rod or phillips screwdriver through the holes at the end of the cartridge and unscrew the cartridge tube from the CV. Move it about 1/8" back and forth until the loctite crumbs out.

Don't get carried away with the heat as you don't want to melt the o-rings in the CV...

Thank you KTM-Lew for your reply.I am uncertain about what you refer to as "peens". The only machining/tool marks I see are on the top aluminum "ears" piece(spring seat holder?).Marks appear to be from vice-grips possibly.Two of the four holes on the bottom have the anodizing worn off, from inserting a screwdriver etc.There are also four tiny burn marks 1/16 in.diam.on the outside of the tube.They look like small spot welds or electrical burns.I don't know if this tube is coated with anything like Teflon etc.,and was afraid to damage it.There is also a "collar" on the rod itself,which appears to be crimped on.Thanks in advance for any replies.

There are also four tiny burn marks 1/16 in.diam.on the outside of the tube.They look like small spot welds or electrical burns.

That IS the peened area's. Since they apparently have been apart it should come apart fairly easy with alittle heat. As long as you don't go crazy with the torch you shouldn't have any problem.

There is also a "collar" on the rod itself,which appears to be crimped on.

Don't bother the crimped ring.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Hope this helps?

I can help. I just had my 05 WR250 forks apart last night.

The WR damper is a little different than Lew is describing. (Lew's instruction is spot on for the YZ forks) There are no peen marks on the WR cartridge (or at least MY forks don't have them) and drilling was not required.

Instead, the cartridge is simply Loctite bonded together. Heat the seat head while applying torque (with the proper tools of course) and it will come apart.

Note that the mid valve is a little tricky with all its little washers + a spring, so be careful when re-assembling, IF dissambly is required to remove the spacers.

BTW, hang onto those spacers. Somebody will probably give you some $$ for them. In fact, I might be interested (for a buddy) IF he ever gets over to my house to see my WR.

Good luck with the forks.

Thanks BazookaJoe,it worked.I took the spacers out and will re-assemble forks tomorrow.If youre interested, I can measure the spacers and post the specs.Very simple to make or have made.I also have the shortened springs.

CoolHand,

Glad the info helped you! I'll talk to the buddy and see if I can boost him into some action on a bike. He's an older guy who used to be wicked fast 30 yrs ago, but now needs a shorter bike if he's to ride again. I *know* he would really like a WR250 w/ the E button and in MN it is really easy to get the street plate. Stay tuned.