Sign in to follow this  

Chain rust?

While my bike sat outside at the dealer waiting for some work to be done, it rained and when I picked it up, the 'outside' of the chain facing outwards was covered in rust. Any hints on getting this off, or is the chain ruined (still running the original stock chain)?

Thanks!

i dont have a stock chain but during a move from maryland to indiana it got some rain, and rust!! i just took a small grill brush and put the bike on its side and scrubbed. it went away so try that. it shouldnt be ruined. GOOD LUCK!! :thumbsup:

Try spraying the chain with WD40 and wipe with a rag that also has WD40. If the rag does not work use a scrub brush like an old toothbrush.

Soak it in kerosene and scrub it with a toothbrush.

is this a oring

if so DO NOT USE A WIRE BRUSH it will kill the chain, if its not and just a regular chain scrub your ass away

There is no reason for a dealer to leave dirtbikes they are working on outside. I'd make them clean it...they're responsible to whatever happens to the bike while its in their possession

While my bike sat outside at the dealer waiting for some work to be done, it rained and when I picked it up, the 'outside' of the chain facing outwards was covered in rust. Any hints on getting this off, or is the chain ruined (still running the original stock chain)?

Thanks!

The chain is fine. Just spray with some wd40 / crc / chain lube. I wouldn't even bother trying to clean it.

Try spraying the chain with WD40 and wipe with a rag that also has WD40. .

NEVER SPRAY WD40 ON YOUR BIKE. WD40 is a not a oil it is for repelling water. Get your self a good chain lube and use it

NEVER SPRAY WD40 ON YOUR BIKE. WD40 is a not a oil it is for repelling water.

That's why you want to use it. you want to stop the chain from rusting. That's all chain lube is good for on an o-ring chain anyway. :thumbsup:

Lube it and ride it. It'll look brand new when you get back. :thumbsup: