Sign in to follow this  

Ambrose Lake, Sat. 12th

Anyone up for Ambrose Lake this Saturday...

Where is Ambrose Lake???

A group of about 6 of us are going riding this Sat. but we haven't picked a place yet. Discussing North Kalkaska and Frederick, or Evart.

Ambrose lake is a a few miles west of Rose City. So far it's going to be Rudy and me.

I checked it out last night. Our group is kickin' around Evart or Kalkaska, but if something changes, I'll let ya know. One guy we're with is a fan of the Rose City area.

And my son Jimmy. Begin tacking up our steel steads around 9:00 a.m. and saddle up and ride out by 10:00 a.m. Head north to Lazerne by mostly single track, get something to eat, then return the same way or some back roads if too tired once back in Ogemaw county. We are all carrying 3+ gallons of gas, so hope to explore some two-tracks, dirt roads and such along the way.

I just did a bit of research into the operation of ORV's in Ogemaw county. 20MPH max speed limit, on shoulder if there is a shoulder, or farthest right as possible if no shoulder. It is by township and not all townships in the county are included, state highways are excepted as are City of West Branch and Rose City.

Townships that are included at least through the end of 2006 are: Rose, Klacking, Foster and Rose City. Townships that were included for at least 2005 were Goodar, Cummings, Churchill, Mill, all of Logan and Ogemaw Townships--unless they have opted out on or after January 1, 2006. It looks like the bottom teer of townships--Edwards, Horton, Mills and Richland, West Branch Township in the next teer up--are not allowing ORV operation on any roads--regular state laws apply here.

I sure hope township lines are prominantly marked with legible signs!

Anyone in Ogemaw county know the specifics if any of these townships have opted out? My map from the county clerk is not clear and does not indicate what townships may have done with respect to this county ordinance.

Rudy is Lazurne in Ogamaw county? You mentioned getting lunch at Ma Deeters (you just wanna see that little hotty working the bar with the tramp stamp on her back) Can JR legaly ride the road to the bar? I remember us getting looked at by the local law as we were riding back down 72 towards the trail. Come to think of it I bet even if it is in the same county JR cant ride down 72...ie highway. You would have to find a back way into town.

If you start at Ambrose Lake / Rose City Trail system. Once you ride north of county line road you will be entering Oscoda county, then you need to stay on the ORV trails or MCC trails but you can ride into Luzerne and Ma Deeters or over to the gas station with no problem. When riding back just stay on the shoulder of the road and keep your speed and sound down. Once on the trail you will have no problem. Most of this trail is open snowmobile trail and next to it is some very tight MCC trails. If you get tired just ride the snowmobile trail sections. It's a pretty easy ride.

Even if you are in Ogemaw County you can not legally ride two track roads. Only Seasonal and county roads unless you are plated.

We have not had any problems yet but you never know so we ended up plating our bikes.

We have not had any problems yet but you never know so we ended up plating our bikes.

I was up there recently.....I think that you just need to use good judgement, keep your speed and sound under control and you'll be ok. I'm sure Ma Deeters and the community appreciate the business, as long as you don't abuse the privledge.....it's a pretty cool town. Wish I was there right now....

:thumbsup:

Where is Ambrose Lake???

A group of about 6 of us are going riding this Sat. but we haven't picked a place yet. Discussing North Kalkaska and Frederick, or Evart.

Please PM if you go to Kalkaska or Fredrick. I'm very close to both and if you don't care I would like to go for a ride on Saturday.

Hey Don! The only place that we ate at that I really rememeber was the Peach Pit and the awesome pizza! Hopefully, they have the same special tonight! Tramps stamps? Seen one--seen them all. But they did look good on her, didn't they! Especially not seeing anything remotely resembling eye candy for 4 days!

Jason says the ORV route goes right to the resurant--I hope so. I guess we had to ride a bit of road from the single track to get there, but it appears to be closer to the ORV route.

In looking at the ordinance in Ogemaw, it appears that one can operate along the side of any road in designated townships, but not M- highways, max speed 20MPH. I wish may son would have gotten a WR--but he likes to moto and given how often I get to go up north riding--he actually gets to ride moto more than I trail ride!

Hopefully a few more show up to ride this trail--as I recall, it was pretty nice up there.

Oh yea the orv route does run up to Luzerne. Luzerene is where Ma Deeters was at. If you run north from Ambrose lake that is where Luzerene is at. South from Ambrose would bring you to the Pit in St Helens.

Looks like you would have to ride maybe 1/4 mile or road on Deeter road to get there.

madeeters2.jpg

If you hop off the Mccct and onto the ORV route to get to Lazurne for lunch...make sure that you ride the rest of the Mccct trail up to 72 and beyond. That was all some sweet trail. If you only ride up to Lazurne via the orv then head back to Ambrose you will miss out on all of that.

Just a reminder the ORV trail does not run in the town of St. Helen at all. And the cops there are giving tickets when you go to get gas or go to the peach pit or Dog House.