Sign in to follow this  

Needle adjustment without pulling the carb?

I need to make a needle clip adjustment on my 06 SM and was wondering if it could be done without pulling the carb?

I was looking at it and it looks like the carb might rotate around on the boots without having to yank the whole thing out.

Any ideas?

every bike that i have seen you can just loosen the carb boot from the intake & engine side and rotate it and take the throttle cap off. You might wanna disconnect the fuel line if its tight so itll twist more..

Just do it either way, shouldnt take long even if you have to take it out.

i can have BOTH my carbs out and disasembled in like 10min

you can do it with out even tilting the carb.

Tell me how that is physically posible.

I have Eddie's link somewhere...you take off the gas tank and use one of the allen wrenchs that you can tilt at an angle. You use that to take off the top....you end up pulling the needle out with a pair of hemostats (skinny locking medical needle nose pliers).

<Edit> I must have the link to Eddie's pics of this at work.

I have Eddie's link somewhere...you take off the gas tank and use one of the allen wrenchs that you can tilt at an angle. You use that to take off the top....you end up pulling the needle out with a pair of hemostats (skinny locking medical needle nose pliers).

..are we talking top cover screws or float bowl ?

The top screws are phillips type - not allen key.

Cheers

Cheers

No they are not phillips type, they are JIS :applause:

And it is easier to twist the carb, unless you have a very short jis screwdriver, and very small double jointed fingers.

Just slacken one of the manifold clamps and the air boot one, takes about 10 minutes to do complete job.

Neil. :thumbsup::ride::applause:

No they are not phillips type, they are JIS :applause:

And it is easier to twist the carb, unless you have a very short jis screwdriver, and very small double jointed fingers.

Just slacken one of the manifold clamps and the air boot one, takes about 10 minutes to do complete job.

Neil. :thumbsup::ride::applause:

Well, I wasn't going to get into the JIS thing again, but yes, as you say sir.

Can one twist the carb the other way to do the jets ?

I would like to avoid pulling the carb out - I would hate to damage one of the boots.

Cheers

..are we talking top cover screws or float bowl ?

Cheers

That, I guess from your comment, would depend on which carb. Even though my carb is caked in mud from yesterdays enduro, I can still see the allen head bolts on the top cover of the FCR. Just realized the thread starter mentioned the SM model in the OP...my bad.

another good reason for the FCR

The correct terms are socket head cap screws and wobble or ball end drivers. As for using my hemostats they are already being used for something else!

take your tank off and look.its self explanatory.there is nothing in the way of the carb cap.

you can do it with out even tilting the carb.

Well shoot, you didnt mention anything about the tank. :thumbsup:

take your tank off and look.its self explanatory.there is nothing in the way of the carb cap.

As for using my hemostats they are already being used for something else!

:thumbsup::ride::applause:

not while installing the jet kit I hope! It says right on the top of the instructions not to. :applause::applause::applause::applause:

As for using my hemostats they are already being used for something else!

Don't forget to keep your thumb on the carb. And don't tilt it too far, that stuff smells horrible when it spills... :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

Don't forget to keep your thumb on the carb. And don't tilt it too far, that stuff smells horrible when it spills... :applause:

:ride:

Don't forget to keep your thumb on the carb. And don't tilt it too far, that stuff smells horrible when it spills... :thumbsup:

tastes real bad too!

Well yaaaaah... that was really easy. Took me about 15 minutes to pull the tank, carb cap, jump the clip, and button it back up. A lot easier than yanking the entire carb out.

I went a whole clip and my < 1/2 throttle lean surge went away but I think I might have fattened it up too much. I didn't have my "half clip" with me and I think that is what I should have used. I need to dig out my wideband and weld in a bung to see where I really am.

Thanks again for the info. :thumbsup: