Sign in to follow this  

Shocks for old twin shock bikes?

Ok, so I know my bike isn't a true thumper, but this thread has vintage thumper implications. What is out there for replacement/aftermarket shocks for the older twin shock dirt bikes? Who has tried what? I would love to hear feedback as to what was good and what reeked.

Thanks,

Marc in Indy :thumbsup:

1980 Suzuki PE250

2000 ATK 250LQ

I have had old beater bikes in the past that I rode just for fun (Not racers) where a bunch us would set up a track in a lot and just wheelie and goof off. I remember one bike I had Kawasaski Bushmaster 175 I think...had worn out rear shocks....Instead of spending a lot of money on new shocks I removed them and drilled a 1/8in. hole in the

lower body and removed all the oil..(there wasn't much in there ) took a oil squirter can and filled it back up with heavier shock oil till I figured out what quanity would give me full travel. Then drained that into a measuring cup so I knew how much to use, and welded a 1/4in. nut over the hole.....brazeing it works best (lower temp)

fill the shock up with your new oil and put a short screw with a fiber washer on it back in the nut and your in busness with better shocks....Depending on how wornout the seals are will determine how long the new oil stays in them but overall they should

work fine for a while. All depends on how much $$$$$$ you want to spend..

Have fun, BC

BC3:

Can you explain in more detail how you figured out how much oil to add? I am looking at a temporary measure to see how much I like the bike before I splurge on the more expensive new shocks.

Thanks,

Marc in Indy

I have a set of Ohlin shocks I bought for my 75 Husky twin shocker. Decided not ti use them. 5-6" of travel with piggy back reservoirs. Will sell them both cheap if you want them. Steny :thumbsup: